Thursday, December 2, 2010

"PERFECT!"

“Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48)

My last couple of blog entries have examined pretty serious and intense topics: one discussed how we treat people who are feeling suicidal, and one was a defense of spirituality and belief in God in contrast to atheism. This one is (for the most part) intended to be a “light” and “fun” piece; but there is a serious component, too.

I’ve written a few times about things I’ve learned from working at a telephone answering service. You learn a LOT about people on this job. And, you DISCOVER and THINK about certain human behaviors and characteristics that you’d have never thought about otherwise. I speak to scores and scores of people on the phones each day- ALL kinds of people. There’s something interesting I’ve noticed: the use of the word “perfect” by callers.

There’s one “demographic group” of callers that frequently says “perfect” after I will agree to take their message or to page a doctor for them. They may also say, “that will be perfect” or “that would be perfect”. I suppose I wouldn’t have noticed this as a “big deal” if it were not for the fact that only one demographic group says it: Women, and mostly affluent suburban women, between the ages of 30 and 49 frequently say “perfect”. I mean frequently. In fact, the overwhelming majority of them either say “perfect” or “that would be perfect” when I comply with a request of theirs. And, it’s often even said in sort of a perky, feminine manner.

Here’s what’s weird: I have worked at the answering service for nine months. I don’t think I’ve heard one man on the phone over the entire nine months even say the word “perfect” once on a call. They’ll say things like, “thanks for your help”, or “thanks, buddy” or “appreciate it” or just “thanks” but NEVER “perfect” or “that would be perfect”.

At first, I thought it was just a man/woman thing...that it was WOMEN who for some reason liked to use the “perfect” phrases. But, that’s not exactly it. I never hear elderly women use that. Never. In fact, most elderly callers are either amazingly happy or amazingly miserable, but they just DON’T use the word “perfect” to describe how they feel about your service to them. Young women also don’t use perfect. I never hear a teenage girl or young women in her early 20s say “perfect” or “that would be perfect”. I was musing on this today at work as I was taking a message from a 40-ish woman. And I almost laughed when she said “perfect” after I’d agreed to take her message.

I’m actually curious: Do YOU say “perfect” or “that would be perfect” after someone agrees to a certain matter? And, if so, do you or do you not fit the demographic of a suburban woman in her 30s or 40s?

You know, I NEVER say, “perfect” or “that would be perfect”. One of my own struggles (like that of my father) is that I’ve tended to be a perfectionist in life, and I’ve actually been depressed at times about the imperfections of life. It’s just such a loaded word for me, that I seldom use it.

Why do you suppose it’s 30s and 40 suburban women who are constantly saying “perfect” or “that would be perfect”? Why don’t others say it?

No kidding, just start looking for this behavior! You’ll see that I’m right!

Incidentally, an online dictionary defines “perfect” as “entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings”. Unfortunately, by that definition, none of my writing is perfect!

1 comment:

Terry Marotta said...

I say it, I blush to admit. think I'll ask people on MY blog what there experience is with the word. May I do that and quote you Bob?

Terry M at
www.