Sunday, January 8, 2012

WHO WOULD GOD VOTE FOR?

"The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord." (Proverbs 16:33)

The Iowa caucuses happened just a few days ago, but not they seem like a distant memory. In the world of U.S. presidential politics all eyes are on New Hampshire and its Tuesday Primary election. The New Hampshire Primary has been the "first in the nation Primary" at least since 1952. Many argue that it gives the small New England state a position of utmost importance in choosing the leader of the free world that is not warranted. I suppose that's a topic for another day. Today, I'm looking at the question of "Who would God vote for as President of the United States?"

The above is definitely a loaded question. My understanding of Scripture is that God doesn't especially like voting at all! Throughout the past several thousand years, MOST of the time when it comes to issues and personalities, the MAJORITY has been WRONG! Jesus spoke of following "narrow road" rather than the "broad road"; (see Matthew chapter 7). The Bible is full of references to very small groups of people really having the mind of God...terms such as "remnant" come to mind. My friend D.C.M. used to HATE church elections when he was pastoring. He said there was no precedent in the Bible for church elections; rather GOD chose leaders. In fact, he's correct. That verse I opened with speaks of casting of lots to find out the will of God. I know many folks would argue, "But THAT'S in the OLD TESTAMENT and not in the church!". In fact, if you check out Acts chapter 1, you'll see that the replacement for Judas Iscariot was chosen by the casting of lots and not by a vote.

In the Old Testament, God chose Judges and Kings; but often based on what the people WANTED...so that's SORT of like voting. In times of Spiritual revival, God gave leaders who were great men and women of God. (Yes, WOMEN...remember Deborah in the Book of Judges?!) In times when the people lived like the devil, God gave evil kings and leaders who lived like the devil.

I know that the whole "God" thing in politics really turns a lot of people off. A crowd of college kids BOOED Rick Santorum last week because of his VERY conservative and old-fashioned standards regarding homosexual marriage. Many of who have also heard of the people who have trashed Santorum because he brought his newborn dead baby home so his other kids could meet the baby. Honestly, I'm not sure that I would have done something like that, but there's no reason to trash Mr. Santorum for his strong respect for life and personhood and Biblical standards. On the other hand, he DID say the government should stop handing out money to "black people" and that wss a very inappropriate comment for him to make. (I still wouldn't BOO him for that, though!)

I grew up in a family where politics, current events, and history were all considered VERY important. It was the kind of household where the news was on constantly, and there were pages of The Boston Globe spread out all over the house (later it was The Patriot Ledger). My mother was the MOST interested in politics and current events, but my father also liked to talk politics. I couldn't wait to register to vote at 18 and I JUST made it in time to vote in the 1972 election. I very much take after my parents. I am one who can't seem to get enough of news, current events, and national politics. USUALLY by this time in a Presidential election year, there's a candidate that I've chosen and am excited about. This year has been SO hard for me. I am glad I'm not a New Hampshire resident because I am not sure who I would vote for. (In case you didn't know, I'm a registered Republican.)

Bob Dylan sand that song "With God on Our Side" many years ago. Some people think God's a far right wing Republican. Many think God is a bleeding heart liberal Democrat. Some think God is very concerned about politics. Others believe God is so busy running the Universe that He doesn't care about politics. A few days ago, Pat Robertson announced that God has shown him who the next President of the United States will be. Pat, however, insists on keeping this a SECRET. I know it will make a lot of my theologically liberal friends angry that for the most part I like Pat Robertson. But, Pat, COME ON! If God told Pat who the next President will be, Pat should either have revealed who it is, or better still, just kept quiet about the whole thing. There's a little matter about "casting your pearls before swine" also from Matthew 7 that Pat Robertson seems to have forgotten about.

God hasn't told ME who the next President is supposed to be. I don't mean to be disrespectful to President Obama. Listen, I get a lot of forwarded e-mails that trash President Obama. If they're well written and factual, I may forward them on. But, if they're just racist and disrespectful trash, I don't. A friend of mine, Tom Stevens, who is a Charismatic Episcopal Priest,and a Vietnam combat veteran told me he NEVER criticizes President Obama.

"He is the Commander in Chief," says Stevens, "and my role is to respect the office and pray for him."

I can't argue with that.

I did not vote for President Obama. I believed he did not have enough experience to be President. I also believed he is a very nice guy and a very good speaker, but shows little evidence of being a good leader. For the most part, I still feel that way. John McCain, in my opinion, SHOULD have been President. He's a military hero, a smart man, and a real leader. He was a very good Congressman and has been a very good U.S. Senator. I think we missed a great opportunity when we did not elect him. But that's my opinion.

Many of us "social conservatives" (and I'm honestly less conservative than I used to be) have said that in the 1990s America got what we deserved with Bill Clinton and again got what we deserved with Barack Obama. I will add to that my opinion that all the hostility and stalemate in Washington between the two political parties is (for the most part) not a good thing. I have never seen America so polarized, and I don't think that's something for us to be proud of. I am not sure WHO I would vote for if I were voting on Tuesday in New Hampshire. My guess is that I would either vote for Rick Santorum or Ron Paul. I know that Ron Paul is "out there" on some issues, but you may be surprised that Ron Paul is a "born again Christian" and that he is pro-life. He doesn't tend to be "in your face" about those positions, but he's not ashamed of his Christianity or his anti-abortion stance, either. In life, I have tended to be a guy who "marches to the beat of a different drummer" and who is thought of as "unconventional" so Ron Paul does appeal to me. Santorum's convictions also appeal to me, and I DON'T like him being trashed.

But, back to the question of who God would vote for, it's very possible that person is Barack Obama...for the reason I wrote above, and ALSO so we'll get on our knees and start praying for him and for our nation. Incidentally, I think TOO much is being made about the Presidential election and not enough about the Congressional elections coming up this Fall. I think the Massachusetts Senate Race between Senator Scott Brown and Democrat challenger Elizabeth Warren (assuming she wins the Democrat primary) is possibly a far more important race for our country's future.

Do you plan to vote this year? Are you excited about politics or are you apathetic? Who do YOU think God would vote for?

1 comment:

jon TK said...

In Exodus 18, the leaders of the tribes of Israel were chosen by Moses, not by God specifically. This was so there would be governance over the people and Moses didn't have to preside over every case.

One could make a case that while democratic "voting" as we understand it didn't exist back then, God's decisions were like modern-day voting in a way. Normal procedure was for rule to be hereditary, but God chose David to oust the incumbent king and his family. And this sort of thing happens several times, though ultimately Jesus keeps David's line. Similarly, when God chooses the lesser of brothers. Or the very fact that leadership after Moses didn't stay in Moses' family or the tribe of Levi.

America as it was designed might be more in line with how God does things, actually. Certain men are chosen, and it is these me who are tasked with making the decisions for the whole. Electors, NOT the mass populace, choose the President. So the leader is chosen by a certain few, presumably with knowledge of each candidate.

Remember when there was essentially a vote as to whether to keep following Moses and Aaron? God killed the other candidate and a bunch of his followers, then sent a plague! So God is not one to be swayed by populist opinions!

But if we think of it in terms of individual choice, then it's not so far out a concept. The way is narrow and few find it because when presented with two choices, the majority are swayed to the wrong way. So really, salvation is like most elections in this country; the majority always seem to end up with the choice that ends badly.

Oh, and yeah, Pat Robertson should shut up.