Tuesday, June 4, 2013

DAN REA'S WITH "THE BIG GUY"

"Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:13-14)

The last time I wrote a piece on my blog about Dan Rea (pronounced "Ray"), and his "Nightside" radio program was last Fall. Dan was advocating that shoppers boycott the big box stores on Thanksgiving Day and Black Friday and take the time to celebrate an old fashioned Thanksgiving. I agreed with Dan completely and wanted to give his idea my endorsement and some positive publicity. Dan hosts an interesting and informative live radio talk show on Boston's WBZ radio (located at 1030 on the AM dial). WBZ is a 50,000 watt blowtorch that can be heard at night in parts of 38 states as well as 6 Canadian provinces. Of course, you can listen anywhere to WBZ on-line, as well. Dan spent decades as a popular television news reporter in the Boston market. In addition, he's a law school graduate. The station promotes Dan Rea as "the smartest guy in radio". I'm not sure if he really is "the smartest guy in radio", but Dan is a bright and articulate guy. I've seldom disagreed with Dan Rea, much less gotten "mad" at him, but last night in the car I was yelling at the radio and a bit heated! The topic for the first hour of Monday evening's program (which I listened to while driving from Framingham to Canton) was the Pope's recent declaration that atheists who are good will surely go to Heaven.

Many of Dan's callers had not heard a thing about this until he brought it up last night. Some callers tried to explain what the Pope surely must have meant, and obviously believed his words were being taken out of context. Dan made it clear that the Pope's words were not being taken out of context and that "atheists who are good people will go to Heaven" is exactly what he said! Dan also added that the Pope had stated that Jesus Christ died for all humanity, including atheists, and that therefore all are redeemed. I will make it clear that Dan was absolutely correct in reporting what the Pope recently had to say about this. In fact, the Pope made his comments about two weeks ago, during a weekday mass there in Rome. That week, it appeared as a news story on AOL. When the story flashed on my screen, my first thought was that the Pope had to have been taken out of context and that the AOL story couldn't possibly be accurate. I was in a hurry at the time, but I decided to check out the story when I had more time. The next day, I did an internet search for the story and I found a number of news accounts about it. Each one I read clearly stated that the Pope publicly said that all good people, even atheists will go to Heaven, and that Jesus Christ did redeem all of humanity. I fully expected this to become a huge story within the next couple of days and figured it would be all over the radio talk shows and the internet. I suspected it would be discussed by priests at a lot of Sunday masses, and that Protestant ministers would be weighing in at their services. To my great surprise, within a couple of days the story was gone and I heard nothing more about it- that is, nothing until last night.

The reason I yelled at the radio last night and got mad at Dan Rea is not that he accurately presented what the Pope had to say about this issue. I got mad because Dan Rea did what so many intelligent modern Americans do when it comes to matters concerning the Christian faith: he threw the New Testament and its contents out the window, and he proceeded to wax eloquent on a subject he frankly does not know much about. Dan was like scores of contestants I've seen on Jeopardy when it comes to answering questions about "The Bible" or "The New Testament" or "Religious history". The contestants can "ace" columns of questions about nuclear physics and 18th Century Russian History. When it comes to the Bible and the Christian faith, these brilliant and highly accomplished people will tell you that Noah was in the Lion's Den, that Ecclesiastes is a book in the New Testament, and that it was Peter who experienced a dramatic conversion to Christianity on the Damascus Road! Modern Americans don't know the Bible and they don't know diddily squat about the Christian faith! There were a few really good callers to "Nightside" during the discussion about the Pope's comments. One well-spoken Catholic woman quoted a question and answer from the Baltimore Catechism (the question and answer book of Catholic doctrine) which stated that only those who believe and are baptized will be saved and that those who are not will be condemned. That Catechism was actually quoting directly and accurately from the Gospel of Mark. Dan gave that woman short shrift and said with what I could picture was a smirk, "You can have your Baltimore Catechism but I'm with the Big Guy!" That is what set me off. I yelled, "No, Dan, I'm with the real Big Guy, and the real Big Guy is the Lord Jesus Christ!"

Later in the hour, Dan stated that "when the Pope speaks on matters of faith, he is infallible". Wrong, Dan. In Catholic dogma, the Pope's words are only "infallible" when he speaks "ex cathedra" that is "from the throne". I'm not a Catholic (though I was raised in the Catholic faith) and I don't know all the particulars about this, but I know there are a number of specific requirements and conditions that have to be met for the Pope be speaking "infallible" truth, and offhanded comments in a homily at a mass just do not qualify! Beyond this, the Pope is a man and a bishop and that's it! He's not God! I know Pope Francis cares about the poor and has done wonderful works. Still, he is not God! The statements the Pope made a couple of weeks ago stating all atheists who do good works will go to Heaven and strongly implying that since Jesus Christ died for all humanity then all humanity will go to Heaven are flat out wrong! I would tell the Pope that right to his face!

Billy Graham has pointed out on many occasions that Jesus Christ preached much more about Hell than He did about Heaven. That's absolutely true. There are a number of very uncomfortable passages about this. One is the one I've quoted above, which says that the overwhelming majority of humanity will not go to Heaven. Jesus Christ, Himself, said that. There's a passage from that same chapter (Matthew 7) which says that many will tell Jesus that they were very religious and did many wonderful works. They will call Him "Lord, Lord" (vv. 22-23) but He will tell them to depart from Him and will say, "I never knew you". At our Adult Sunday School class at the church I currently attend, the teacher spent some time discussing that passage a couple of weeks ago. He told the class that frankly it is a sobering passage for him to read and think about. It is for me, too. But it's New Testament and it's Truth. And, it was uttered by The Real Big Guy!

Dan Rea, you're a law school graduate. You're a very bright and well informed guy. You're (for the most part) a very good radio talk show host. Why would you be so cavalier about issues of eternal salvation and damnation? And why would you be so foolish as to take the words of one religious leader, no matter how good his works or how high his position and title, over the words of the New Testament? I don't know if you've thoroughly and read and studied the words of the four gospels- I mean thoroughly read them and thoroughly studied them. I suspect you may be more like those Jeopardy champions who can elaborate on 17th Century French history as well as the early history of American football, but who think Gethsemane is a book of the Old Testament. I have a challenge to issue to you: I encourage you to take about 6 months...say from now to just before Christmas, and during that time slowly and thoroughly read through the four gospels. Take it slow. Look up and study any confusing words and passages. Maybe keep a journal and make some notes. Look for things you've never heard of and don't understand. "Dig" into that stuff. See if you're the same person at Christmas time or if your whole attitude and perception about the New Testament and Christianity have changed. Honestly, I will guarantee you that if you take the time out of your busy schedule to do that, your faith, attitude, and perception will have changed, and will never be the same. I could not be more serious about this. Yes, I was "mad" at you for a short time last night, but I'm not mad at you today. You're a great guy, but to be blunt, you needed this kick in the pants. And, I challenge all other readers to do the same. God bless you.

3 comments:

jon TK said...

It's just entirely illogical to think that because Christ died for all, all are therefore saved. If that's the case, why were Paul and the Apostles preaching a gospel of repentence and faith in the crucified and risen Christ? If people just have to be good and it doesn't matter where they put their faith, then these were some of the stupidest people on earth. ...And if Peter is the first pope, and thus essentially the founder of the Catholic Church, then it would make the entire Catholic faith a waste of time.

I also doubt many atheists would like the idea of being included in a Christian heaven they deny exists.

If faith without works is dead, mightn't the opposite also be true?

If the Pope actually said this ex cathedra (which I doubt he did), then he should be immediately removed from office for undermining all of Christendom. Sometimes we pick on Catholics for blindly following their leadership, but I've got to believe that most Catholics would hear what he said and go, "...I don't think that's true..." Even if it sounds nice.

Like it or not, the New Testament teaches a gospel of inclusive exclusion.

Bob Baril said...

Jon, I totally agree with your comment!

jon TK said...

minor correction of myself: I think I meant to say it's a gospel of exclusive inclusion, rather than the reverse. I think that makes more sense.