Tuesday, December 11, 2007

TELEVISION PREVIEW

“And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.” (Mark 13:37)

About ten days ago, my sister (who lives in Canton) received a mailing inviting her to a special event at a hotel in Dedham.  The mailing was from “Television Preview”.  Included in the envelope were four tickets to the viewing of two “pilot” episodes of television programs;  each of which is being proposed to become a regular prime time television series .  The mailing instructed the recipient that if he or she could not use the tickets they should pass them on to others who might like to attend.  My sister was unable to attend so she gave the tickets to me.

On Saturday evening, my 21-year-old daughter Rachel and I went to the “Television Preview” event.  The meeting was scheduled for 7:30 p.m.  The instructions stated that doors for the special screenings would open at 7:15 and that nobody would be admitted after 7:45.  We arrived sometime around 7:05.  A substantial line had already formed- each person eagerly clutching the green admittance ticket in hand.  Upon being admitted to the large room we were given portfolio packets with instructions stating we were not to open them until instructed to do so.  There must have been at least 100 people present, and I’d say more like 150.  The first thing we had to do was fill out a lengthy questionnaire about product preferences.  Those were collected and a couple of drawings took place.  Winners will later receive gift baskets of assorted products.

It was exciting to watch these “pilot” episodes and to know that our input would be counted as to whether these shows ever actually hit the airwaves.  The first was a one hour drama with a psychic/suspense theme.  Most highly committed evangelical Christians are not going to care for dramas which have psychic themes, so I had a heavy bias against it right away.  The show was just not that good, however. Regardless of one’s religious or spiritual convictions (or lack thereof) this was just not a very good show.  After viewing it we were read a series of questions to which we responded on questionnaires.  The final question was to state our ultimate opinion of whether this show should ever hit the airwaves....we had to circle a drawing of a “thumbs up” gesture if we liked it or a drawing of a “thumbs down” gesture if we didn’t like it.  Without hesitation, I circled the “thumbs down”.

The next show was a 21st Century family sitcom in the genre of the 1980s’ show “Full House”.  As I watched the first two minutes of inane conversation and an annoying laugh track, I expected to hate the show. Within five minutes, however, I was laughing with enjoyment and thoroughly loving this very “little kidsy” comedy.  A lot of the humor was both satirical and slapstick, and it was the kind of stuff that I really get a kick out of.  Once again, we were read a series of questions and wrote our responses.  I gave the sitcom a “thumbs up”. 

We later had to watch a proposed television commercial and we asked to respond to several questions about it.  And, we were asked (too many) questions about what prescription and over-the-counter medications we have purchased in the past year.

The final question was the opportunity to write a couple of sentences about what we thought of the whole experiences.  I glanced at 21-year-old Rachel’s paper and saw that she’d written the word “awesome” as part of her sentence.  I wrote that the chairs were uncomfortable, but that overall I’d enjoyed the experience.

If you ever get an invitation to a “Television Preview” I hope you’ll attend!
I wonder if either of the shows we viewed will ever become a prime-time program!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also wrote a request for comfy chairs.
It's not even the whole "past life" thing that made that show blah... there was too much crammed in and it didn't make any sense. If it becomes a show I'll be wicked surprised.
The second show needs to work on it's writing a little too... since a good number of the jokes weren't really funny... but it's got potential. I also thumbs upped it
Was sad that I didn't win a basket of stuff...but, hey, free pen!

Anonymous said...

haha sounds like you guys had a good time out there.