Thursday, December 6, 2007

UNPACKING

“And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.”  (Luke 15:5)

On Wednesday afternoon I unpacked our family’s package.  I know it’s not Christmas... it IS Hanukkah, but I’m not Jewish.  So, what am I doing unpacking a package for our family?  Well, actually, every month a package arrives that I unpack.  As I was unpacking it and putting our family’s “stuff” away I thought I might like to share it on the blog.

Back in mid-1995, our friends Jim and Bev asked us (well, sort of in a nice way “bugged” us) to have an in-home presentation of something they thought we’d find exciting.  I’d sat through had various vacuum cleaner sales presentations before, as well as “Get Rich Quick” schemes, so I was skeptical.  Finally, I agreed to have Jim & Bev over, and Mary Ann and I sat and listened to Bev’s presentation which took about an hour, as I recall.  I won’t tell you the name of the company, but I imagine a lot of you are thinking it begins with either the letter “A” or the letter “S”.  It’s neither one of those.  If I DID name the company here, I’d guess two-thirds of you have never heard of it.  I had never heard of it until mid-1995. I found out that this company that I’ll call “THE BIG X “ was founded in 1985 in the western U.S.  The products at that time were mostly household cleaning products, cosmetics, “health and beauty” products, and a limited line of vitamins and health aids.  (Since then, the company has expanded to include many more products.)  An executive of a nonprofit ministry, Jim explained that a percentage of everything people enrolled as customers purchased went to the nonprofit ministry, and a percentage went to Jim & Bev. 

One thing I really wasn’t sure enough is that to make “THE BIG X” work, enrollees HAD to place an order every month and HAD to agree to buy a certain amount of stuff.  I wondered if my wife and I could possibly keep that up.  And it seemed weird that we would NEVER buy brand name toothpaste or brand name bar soap or brand name hairspray every again.  Jim and Bev stressed the OUTSTANDING quality of the products.  They were friends and we wanted to help them.  We enrolled.

“THE BIG X’ promised that if you used their toothpaste, your dentist would notice a huge improvement and would ask what toothpaste you were using.  Honestly, THAT DID HAPPEN!  I’ve brought several tubes of toothpaste in over the years for my dental hygienist.  In fact, my young adult daughter in Missouri will not use ANY toothpaste except for “THE BIG X” toothpaste.  Periodically, we send her some.

Our other daughter found that “THE BIG X” products are absolutely superior for acne.  They are.  I may be 53, but I STILL have acne breakouts at times, and the products are wonderful.  By far, the BEST product “THE BIG X” offers is their bar soap.  It’s a true “high end” product.  There’s nothing as good as it in any store.

When I enrolled, I was ECSTATIC!  I thought I’d sign up EVERYBODY I knew and I’d be rich!  Well, some people have become wealthy through introduction people to “THE BIG X” company.  The first mistake I made was barraging all my friends and pressuring them to enroll.  I got the cold shoulder from all of them.  The company really DISCOURAGES that sort of thing.  I thought I was SO personably and had SUCH sales ability that MY methodology would work.  It didn’t. 

I DID do several in-home presentations for “THE BIG X” back in the 1990s. Nobody signed up.  I later found out that after doing many, many in-home presentations, Jim and Bev only got 6 or 7 households to sign up, including ours.
“If you want to find out what people REALLY think of you, try to enroll them n ‘THE BIG X’ “ Jim once told me, “It really kind of hurt,” he said, “because I found out how little some people really thought of me.”

Over the years I have met other people who are enrolled in “THE BIG X”.  All just love the products and keep ordering them every month.  All have also agreed that they just couldn’t get anybody to join.  Sometimes I wonder if the company would do better if it had jingles or advertised on television.

Yup, I unpacked my anti-itch cream, and my vitamins, and my soap and hairspray and other items on Wednesday afternoon.  And I just had to tell you what your missin’ !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your anti-itch cream is weird...
tee-tree oil... smells awful... but great for zits...
i like their vitamins too. but I'm not a fan of their toothpaste... just cuz it's cinnamin...ew. aren't there any other flavors?

Anonymous said...

good job taking vitamins...
and i could use some more toothpaste if you can send it out for christmas!