Saturday, December 15, 2007

TREASURES OF THE SNOW?

"Hast thou entered into the treasures of the snow?  or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail" (Job 38:22)

I'm not a big "snow person".

Well, actually, my life experiences with snow have "run the gamut" as they say. As a little kid growing up in New England, I loved playing in the snow.  I loved when school was called off because of snowstorms.  As a teenager who had to do a lot of snow shoveling, I wasn't so excited about it.  As an adult I've hated driving in the snow, and even though I'm a native New Englander, I've really never got used to driving in the snow and I just plain don't like it.

Thursday was quite a day.  At one small doctors' office just off downtown Framingham, a construction crew was building an outdoor deck.  I'm serious.  Even more ironic: our lawn service company did the final fertilizer application of the season, and left one of those little "fertilizer application" pennants plunked into the front lawn.

I don't know how the decking crew did, but I'd say they probably had to knock off by 1:30.  Even a white-collar type guy like me knows they were at least one month late in attempting to build a deck before winter weather!  Friday morning the little lawn company pennant was sticking up above the snow.  We took a couple of pictures of it!

I am very fortunate to live only a mile and a half from my office.  I went home at Noon and did not go back to the office.  I did take a walk to the bank and library downtown.  I was amazed that the cars on Concord St/Rte. 126 were moving at no more than an ant's pace.  I was doing much better on foot!  I was kind of "bummed" that the library closed 5 minutes after I got there, at 2 p.m.!

This weekend is going to be a spiritual challenge for me, because like 98% of Protestant Pastors, I hate Sunday morning snowstorms!  This may sound very mercenary, but you'd THINK people would give double in the offering the following week, but it usually doesn't happen.  (Well, in all fairness, some people DO give double the following week, but financially Sunday snowstorms are really bad for churches.)  I guess I need to remember Romans 8:28.  (Nope, I'm not gonna quote it.  I will let you look it up.)  And I guess I've just got to remember that this is Massachusetts and this is December.  Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah, snow can be stupid... but maybe you should go buil a fort or something... bring back the childhood love for the fluffy stuff

Anonymous said...

if rachie were home she would have made a grimmace in the back yard.

i wish we would get some snow and get rid of this stupid ice that keeps coming. who wants to go out and play in the ice??