Thursday, March 22, 2007

LOST

"Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?" (Luke 15:8)

Some of you know one of my favorite television shows is "LOST".  My son and are are practically addicted to it.  If you think that's what I'm going to write about today, you'll be disappointed, because that's not it.  I just feel a little frustrated because lately I seem to be losing a number of things.

A few weeks ago, I lost a very nice pair of clip on sunglasses.  I looked and looked until I looked so much I almost needed a new prescription from straining my eyes.  They never turned up.  Fortunately, I have friends who run an optical shop, so I got new clip on sunglasses through them.  Earlier this week, I bought some off-brand instant shower cleaner.  You know, the stuff like "Clean Shower" except it was an off-brand.  I bought it first thing in the morning, so I brought it to the church with me to bring home later.  Well, I've searched the church, I've searched my car, and I've searched my residence.  After 24 hours of that, I gave up and went to the supermarket and bought ANOTHER bottle of off-brand instant shower cleaner.  I did not take any chances!  I put that right in my bathroom cabinet!

Tuesday morning, I could not find the MetroWest Daily News on my front porch where it always is in the morning.  I looked all over the place, more than once.  It felt silly to be out in my pajamas walking around the front yard looking for the paper, but I was.  I  later gave up and walked up the street to buy a paper.  (Wednesday we DID get our paper, as usual, but what happened to the Tuesday paper?)  Tuesday night when I went to put my cell phone away, I noticed that the top of its leather case was missing.  I looked all over the house, and it's no where.  I don't absolutely HAVE to have the top...the belt clip part is on the bottom of the case- but it's kind of annoying that it just disappeared.  I COULD go to the Verizon store and buy a new case...but I don't know.  In a few months I'll be upgrading the cell phone, so maybe it's just not worth it.

I once read an article that said that the thing to remember when you lose something is that old nursery rhyme which says, "Leave them alone, and they'll come home, wagging their tales behind them."  I guess there IS some truth to that one.  The "aerator" on our kitchen faucet "acted up" months ago.  I knew I had some spare faucet aerators around.  Well, I looked and I looked and I looked... and you know the drill.  I finally gave up.  This past weekend, I was looking for something else- my wife needed her passport for something.   I found mine but not hers.  While I was looking in my dresser for her passport, I found an envelope with spare faucet aerators!  On Tuesday I changed the kitchen faucet aerator.  It had been "acting up" for about 5 months and "driving us crazy".  Now, the faucet is back to "normal"...no weird awkward stream or constant dripping.

My sock drawer contains numerous single socks...where do those other socks go?  Well, I guess I could go on an on, but as an evangelical Christian, I know that as long as my SOUL is not lost, well, things are OK...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

crazy. that seems to happen a lot

Anonymous said...

well, don't feel bad. we all loose our socks. that's the way it is...
i know i get frustrated when i loose something i just bought... like when i brought home milk and then it dropped and broke open. i know your not supposed to cry over that sort of thing...but i did...
don't feel bad, everybody looses stuff sometimes... you'll find it eventually.
...I also love LOST. Charlie rocks my socks