Saturday, March 3, 2007

VERIZON "EXCELLS"

“Render therefore to all their dues: ... honour to whom honour...” (from Romans 13:7)

Yesterday in the early morning, I was quite distressed to find that my cell phone was just not working.  This is my third cell phone.  I got my first in 1999 as a gift.  A couple paid for my first two years of having a cell phone, then I took the service over.  I got my present cell phone in February 2006.  Around 10 a.m. I went to the Verizon Wireless store in Natick at Sherwood Plaza.  Thank God it was not crowded at all (in Dec. you can't even get in the door!).

I saw Thiago, a young technician, who was super.
He found that my problem was indeed unusual and strange.
He opened up the phone, took out the battery and put it back in.  That DID get the phone working again although the battery was VERY weak.  When I bought this cell phone in thirteen months ago, I never opted for any service coverage or extended warranty or ANYTHING like that on it. Thiago told me if this was just five weeks ago he could have kind of tweaked it to give me an extended warranty on the phone,  but now that I've passed a year he can't.

Thiago did tell me a new similar phone would be $50 and a new battery would be $40.
However, he felt that maybe (like computers) the phone just "froze" as can happen.  He encouraged me to go home, turn the phone off, plug it into the charger and let it charge several hours.  I did that and the phone now works fine.  Incidentally, did you know you’re really supposed to turn the phone OFF each and every time you charge it.  NOT turning the phone off can eventually cause the phone to “freeze up” and have other problems.

Thiago thinks the phone’s present battery CAN last a few more months.  He said before the end of 2007 I WILL be eligible for a phone upgrade, but I'm just not eligible YET.

Yesterday’s service call cost me NOTHING and "hopefully"  the cell phone will be O.K. for awhile.
Overall, I’m very happy with Verizon and I’d recommend Verizon Wireless to anybody!

I also have Verizon landline phone service for my residence and the church.  As long as I live in Massachusetts, I won’t use any telephone company other than Verizon!

No comments: