Monday, April 30, 2007

GLORIA

“Gloria in excelsis deo” - “Glory to God in the highest” (from Luke 2:14)

Last Tuesday I got a call from Gloria.

Gloria is Gloria Maw.  She’s 63-years-old, although (no offense if she ever sees this) I’d have guessed she was older than that.  Gloria Maw lives in the Portland, Maine area.  Gloria attended First Assembly of God of Framingham for many years.  She has one son, Lynwood.  I always thought Gloria and Lynwood were characters.  They weren’t really weirdoes or anything like that.  But they WERE different.  Each had a demeanor such that when they’d tell you something you couldn’t quite tell if they were kidding or not, nor could you guess their mood or intent.  Gloria worked hard as a nurse’s aid at a MetroWest area nursing home.  She lived only a tenth or a mile or so from my residence.  She was never a leader nor was she an “important” (in human terms) person in the church.  She was just kind of there, smiling, making an occasional comment.  Gloria really liked most people, but didn’t like some.  The ones she didn’t like tended to not like her, either, but she DID like most!  Like me, she was very honest, and could be a little blunt!  One time, a woman in our church got a curly haircut which looked really weird, childish, and inappropriate.  Gloria, trying to be diplomatic remarked to that woman, “Your haircut is cute.”

The woman got really mad!  “I’m CUTE!! I’m CUTE!!” she yelled sarcastically.  (For those of you from First Assembly of God, the woman who yelled “I’m CUTE!!” has the initials “C.B.” but that’s as much as I’ll say  about it!

Gloria was close to our church’s “Official Secretary” Claire Grimes.  About 9 years ago, Gloria announced “out of the blue” that she was moving to the Portland, Maine area because “God wants me to”.  She had no place to live and no job waiting for her.  Both Claire Grimes and I thought Gloria was NUTS to do this!  We were convinced it was out of the will of God.  Claire and I were wrong on that one.

Gloria moved to the Portland, Maine area and MIRACULOUSLY every thing worked out.  The best part was that she joined an outstanding Assemblies of God church there where she began faithfully attending.  It’s a much larger church that ours in Framingham, and it’s a place where Gloria has greatly grown spiritually.

Last Tuesday, I’d spend most ofthe day doing yard work.  Tired and sweaty, I came inside and sat down to take a break.  The phone rang, and to my surprise it was Gloria Maw.  I had not spoken to Gloria in probably 5 years.  Gloria sounded VERY happy and upbeat, and very friendly.  In that happy voice she said,

“I’ve got cancer.  It’s in my lymph system, it’s in my lungs, and it’s gone into my liver.  I’m receiving very aggressive treatment.”

I was stunned, and certainly saddened.

Gloria went on to tell me that she continues to go to work at least a half day for every day she can, and that she’s doing all she can to be a good example for Christ to her coworkers AND to those who treat her at the hospital.  

I prayed for Gloria.

Warmly, Gloria told me she often thinks of me and of First Assembly of God of Framingham.  My ministry and the years there meant a great deal to her.  

I was numb after hanging up the phone.  I don’t know what will happen.  I do know God can do anything.  Six years ago, my accountant was very sick with cancer.  God miraculously healed him.  Still, I’ve had other friends with cancer who have died.  I realized Gloria was calling me to let me know (if she passes away soon) that she really appreciates me and the Framingham church.  That call made my day last Tuesday.

Over the past seven years, something like twenty-five  people have left our small church, turning it into a VERY small church.  Many of those people have said some pretty critical things to me as they’ve departed, and BOY have those things STUNG.  Gloria’s call was, well what the Old Testament calls, “a balm in Gilead”.

I’ve got a confession to make:  I got up VERY DEPRESSED today.  Yesterday, we had a low attendance (even for us) at church and we had an insufficient offering.  I’m scheduled to fly to Springfield, Missouri tomorrow - for 12 days.  My wife is scheduled to join me on Wednesday there.  Many of you know, the occasion is our daughter Amy’s graduation from college and nursing school (actually 2 graduations a week apart). I’m leaving the small church in terrible shape.  Elderly Claire Grimes, the volunteer secretary, is essentially being handed a “baptism of fire” of potential shutoff notices and cancellation notices with little or no way to handle it.  I know she’s not happy about me leaving, and it makes me feel terrible to do that to her.  

Yesterday afternoon, I went to the parking lot of the Lincoln Medical building that overlooks Learned Pond.  I may have looked like an idiot, but I actually knelt on the seat of a picnic table there and “had it out with God”.  I told God it was unfair to put me in a position where I have a choice of hurting and disappointing my daughter Amy (if I cancel the trip) or of hurting and disappointing Claire Grimes (if I leave her in a hopeless mess and sarcastically say “good luck!”).   Amy and I corresponded by e-mail later on Sunday.  Amy is hurt and angry with the church in Framingham - can you BLAME her?  

So, I got out of bed really depressed today.  I wasn’t planning to post anything on the blog this morning, nor was I planning to send out any e-mails.  As I ate a (frankly delicious) Thomas’ English Muffin and drank a cup of Folger’s coffee that I’d deliberately made too strong, I thought about Gloria Maw’s phone call.  It was hard to continue to be depressed thinking of Gloria.  Gloria’s a thoughtful and brave woman.  Gloria’s everything you’d want a Christian in her shoes to be like- AND THEN SOME!  I decided to tell about Gloria’s phone call on this blog.  

My old boss Dave Milley used to say, “Don’t send me flowers when I’m DEAD! Send them when I’m ALIVE!”  He’s right!  (Ironically I read a story this morning about someone at Hudson High School who DID give Governor Patrick some flowers and was hurt because he quickly and insensitively gave them away!)  Gloria kind of sent me a “phone bouquet” last week that was a real blessing.  So, whether literally or figuratively, send some flowers this week!

Some of you know, I’ve got a crazy and 5th grade level sense of humor.  Sometimes at Christmastime when I sing the chorus of “Angels We Have Heard on High” I comically change it to “Glllooorrriiiiaa , and her name is MAW,   Glllooorrriiiiaa , and her name is MAW ! “

Well, I honestly don’t know how to end this posting so that’s as good a way as any...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's cool that you heard from her. I'm glad it gave you a little 'pick me up' dad. I can't wait to see you tomorrow. Maybe something amazing will happen while you're out here. who knows.

Anonymous said...

Great blog but if you ever use that E word again I'll never speak to you again.