Monday, May 14, 2007

DON'T BUY GAS ON MAY 15 !

“And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts say, A measure of wheat for a penny, and three measures of barley for a penny,; and see thou hurt not the oil and the wine”.  (Revelation 6:6)

Revelation 6:6 is kind of difficult to understand in the old King James Version.  “Penny” is the Seventeenth-Century English translation for “denarius” which was a day’s wage in the time of Jesus Christ- maybe like a hundred dollar bill today.  Revelation chapter 6 describes a future time of economic chaos, when (essentially) a loaf of bread will cost $100.  As Billy Graham once said about this passage, “It will be inflation gone mad!”

Now, to the issue at hand:  there is no good reason why the typical price of a gallon of gasoline has gone from roughly $2.20 to roughly $3.05 in the past nine weeks.  Some say, “Well, it’s supply and demand.”  It IS true that gasoline typically goes up ten or fifteen cents a gallon for the summer driving season.  But the “summer driving season” is at least two weeks away.  And, gas has gone up over eighty cents- not fifteen!  The price of gasoline is actually set by speculation- like people playing the stock market.  It DOESN’T have a whole lot to do with supply and demand.  Oh, granted, if Iran suddenly stopped shipping gas to the U.S., prices WOULD go up thirty or forty cents a gallon overnight.  Well, WHAT has happened to cause the eighty-plus cent rise in gasoline prices since Presidents’ Day in February?  CORPORATE GREED!

Most of you have already received e-mails about a national gasoline boycott set for Tuesday, May 15.  Although I’ve started my share of mass e-mailings, I had absolutely nothing to do with this one.  But, I SUPPORT IT!  There is NO WAY that I will buy any gasoline on Tuesday, May 15, and I’m going to TRY to not buy gasoline on Wednesday, May 16 either.  

In the past few days, I’ve seen “economists”, “consumer experts”, television news anchors and others ridiculing the boycott and essentially saying that anyone who boycotts gasoline on Tuesday, May 15 is an idiot.  Well, what else would you expect?  Big oil is VERY powerful- they don’t want this boycott and so they’re subtly pushing the message to ignore the boycott and pushing the idea that anybody who is for the boycott is really stupid.

I guess I’m really stupid because I definitely will not buy gasoline on Tuesday, May 15. I encourage you to join me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say AMEN to that!

Anonymous said...

Don't know if it made any difference, but I didn't buy gas on the 15th.  I did see that most gas stations had plenty of customers.