Thursday, May 31, 2007

YOU HATE TO HEAR IT BUT "YOU GOTTA" ...

I had a great Memorial Day weekend just a few days ago.  I hope you did, too.

There were certainly what I call “some tough news items” to hear about and read about after the weekend was over.  I’ll probably spell his name wrong, but what a tragedy that Marquese Hill died in that freak jetski accident in Louisiana.  He was only 24.  He was apparently trying to save the life of the young woman who was with him, since she could not swim. Even more tragic was the loss of a 16-year-old boy from Central Street, Framingham.  He’d gone to swim at the old Milford quarries.  There have been several tragedies at the Milford quarries over the past couple of decades.  This kid’s death was particularly tragic.  He lost his footing on a steep wooded path, sending him off a cliff.  The boy grabbed a good-sized tree branch but the branch snapped and the boy plunged to his death.  There are all sorts of “editorial comments” I could make and we all could make, but I want to spare the family undue pain.  If we are all honest, most of us did things when we were teenagers which were not wise.  We were fortunate enough to get away with them, but this boy was not.  In addition, as a result of a police high speed chase in Somerville, a bright and well liked man...just an innocent guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time...was killed.

It DOES seem ironic that these events happened on Memorial Day weekend, because on Memorial Day weekend we remember THE DEAD.  Specifically, we remember our fallen military heroes, but most people use it as a time to remember all of their loved ones who have passed on. 

I know, I know, this is all pretty morbid.  It is.  Don’t get me wrong, because, again, I had a great Memorial Day weekend.  I do believe we should get out there and enjoy life when we can.  But we DO need to be reminded that life is precious and that THIS LIFE can end at any time!

My advice is twofold: 
1.  Live life to the fullest.
2.  In the words of a famous bumper sticker:  “JESUS:  DON’T BE CAUGHT DEAD WITHOUT HIM!”

No comments: