Wednesday, December 10, 2008

BUSH THE BIBLE EXPERT?

“In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” (Genesis 1:1)

The Associated Press posted a story on America On Line yesterday afternoon entitled, “Bush Says He Doubts Bible Literally True”. After reading the article I did not know whether to laugh or to cry.

I’m a registered Republican. I voted for George W. Bush ONCE for President, in 2004. No, I didn’t vote for him in 2000. At that time, I thought the only reason he had gotten anywhere politically was because of who his father was. It seemed to me that if his name were Fred Jones or Bob Baril he’d probably have had no chance of ever being elected President of the United States OR of ever being elected Governor of Texas. 2000 was the only time I voted for a third party candidate for President, and that was Pat Buchanan on the Reform party ticket. President Bush surprised me in his first term. I thought he did a pretty good job and I voted for him in 2004. I have been very disappointed in President Bush’s performance in his second term and I don’t think he has done a very good job. I know that I am supposed to respect the President of the United States. I DO respect the Office of President. I think George W. Bush is a nice guy, but after reading the AP article, I’m just shaking my head about this man. Jimmy Carter, another born-again Christian taught many an Adult Sunday School class, but I don’t thing I can imagine President Bush even teaching an Adult Sunday School class!

check this out:


http://news.aol.com/article/bush-says-he-doubts-bible-literally-true/264531


I can’t understand how a man with a graduate degree from Yale could POSSIBLY allow himself to be backed into a corner like that and could possibly give such POOR answers! Cynthia McFadden of ABC ought to interview Charles Colson and ask him many of the same questions. I DOUBT she or any other reporter will do that because Colson would blow her away with his intellect and knowledge of the Bible, and she or any other secular cynical reporter would end up looking pretty foolish.

I’ll go on record saying this: While NO ONE knows for sure the age of the Universe or of Planet Earth, the Bible clearly teaches there was a literal Adam and a literal Eve that all human beings descend from. They sinned and they and their descendants became separated from God. Jesus Christ came as the Second Adam to redeem mankind.

Bush should have been smart enough to clearly and intelligently state that he is not a trained scientist nor a trained theologian but that he believes Jesus Christ came to redeem mankind. Some may read the AP article and argue, “Well he DID say that.” He sort of said it, but not very well. If he made a presentation (such as is reported in the AP story) for me, with a desire to become an Adult Sunday School teacher, I’d tell him he’s not ready for prime time (no pun intended)!

My son Jon had a different take on the Bush interview, saying the questions asked of Bush were completely irrelevant and that he should have refused to answer them for that reason. Jon has a good point.

Sorry if this offended some of you, but it bothers me when the secular press deliberately tries to make Christians look foolish and it bothers me even more when a Christian walks right into their trap.

No comments: