Tuesday, December 16, 2008

HONOR TO MR. JOHN WALSH

“Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.” (I Peter 2:17)

I think in the past few days I’ve posted more pieces on my blog within a short period of time than ever before! Usually, I like to post three times a week- sometime around Tuesday, sometime around Thursday, and sometime around Saturday. I know I’m now way off my schedule and there have just been a whole bunch of postings, but it seemed most fitting to post this tonight:

You may have heard that police in South Florida have revealed the identity of the man they positively believe killed little Adam Walsh back in 1981. His name was Ottis Toole. Toole was a vicious serial killer who is now deceased. The story was posted on America OnLine today and can be read at:

http://news.aol.com/article/police-say-walshs-1981-murder-solved/279175

About a week ago, I posted a piece about famous people I’d like to meet. I’m sorry I did not include John Walsh in that piece because he is definitely a famous person I would like to meet. I guess my daughter Rachel must get her interest in law enforcement and criminal justice from the genes of my late father Eugene A. Baril because Rachel’s favorite T.V. show is “America’s Most Wanted” and I know she highly respects John Walsh. If anybody had a “right” to be bitter it’s John Walsh (and his family). At this time of year when we talk of “peace on Earth, good will toward men”, it’s difficult to think about an incident as horrible as the murder of Adam Walsh. I wonder how I would have handled such an event. Would I have remained as a committed Christian or would it have shattered my faith? Would I have become consumed with cynicism and self-pity? Would I have been overcome by fear? Would I have (foolishly) turned to drugs and alcohol for solace? Would my wife and I have blamed each other for our child’s murder (also foolishly) and gotten divorced? Only God knows.

I am deeply grateful I never faced such a horrific event in my life, but John Walsh and his family DID. John Walsh is a huge hero to me because he did not allow that terrible event to destroy him. Rather, he has put his energy...well, his LIFE into seeing that criminals are hunted down and apprehended, AND into trying to comfort and help other families who have been victimized by violent crime and by other forms of evil.

Does this news provide “closure” for the Walsh family or has it brought them more pain? I can’t help but think it’s the latter. To the Walsh family: I am truly sorry for your pain. I know I will never understand what you have gone through. You are very special people. You have done so much to make America and planet Earth a better place. Thank you. I’m not a real “huggy” person at all, but if I could, I’d give you a hug.

I hope this will be a wonderful Christmas for you. I don’t say tritely, God loves you and cares about you. I know there are no easy answers...really NO answers for what happened to your wonderful little boy. For me, this is the hardest part of ministry...wanting to give “answers” to hurting people when there are no answers. But all I can say is Jesus really cares about you.

Mr. Walsh, I’ve seen how much Rachel admires your work, and it blesses me that you’ve touched her life in ways you’ll never know. My father who had a distinguished career in law enforcement (he passed away in 2000) was not a “huggy” guy either, but I know he’d have hugs for the Walsh family, also.

God bless you, John Walsh!

1 comment:

Debbies Doodle said...

John Walsh is also someone I would like to meet... if just to shake his had. He is a hero..
deb
http://debbiedohair.blogspot.com/