Thursday, October 1, 2009

THE SECRET OF BECOMING MIGHTY, GREAT, GOOD, AND GODLY

[I want to say something right at the outset. This is almost word for word the devotional piece I shared at our church’s “Praise & Prayer” meeting last night. I will admit that I have an ego. I like people to praise my writing, my speaking, and my ideas and insights. BUT I REALLY DESERVE NO CREDIT FOR THIS PIECE! This past Sunday afternoon, as I read 2 Chronicles chapter 27, verse 6 practically leaped off the page. I believe it was the Holy Spirit teaching me. IT WAS RICH! I excitedly looked at various Bible versions, and study helps, and wrote down notes. Some weeks I struggle to put a Wednesday night devotional together to share with the people. This week was not like that at all. Honestly, Bob Baril deserves NO credit for this piece. Perhaps my name should not even be attached to it. If you’re blessed by this piece, IT’S FROM GOD. I’m just honored to have you sharing the blessing of this rich verse with me.]


The secret of becoming mighty, great, good, and godly:

2 Chronicles 27:6

KING JAMES VERSION &
NEW KING JAMES VERSION
So Jotham became mighty, because he prepared his ways before the Lord his
God.


NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION
Jotham grew powerful because he walked steadfastly before the Lord his God.


JEWISH PUBLICATION SOCIETY VERSION
So Jotham became mighty, because he ordered his ways before the Lord his
God.


ROMAN CATHOLIC CONFRATERNITY VERSION
And Jotham was strengthened because he had his way directed before the Lord
his God.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Several years ago, Bruce Wilkinson wrote “The Prayer of Jabez” based on a
couple of verses in I Chronicles chapter 4. He found that rich nugget among
a boring list of names. A few days ago in my personal devotions, I found
the above nugget in the story of King Jotham of Judah in 2 Chronicles 27.

Jotham was a son of Uzziah. Uzziah was the king who was struck with
leprosy when he went into the Temple and insisted upon performing the functions of a priest which it was not lawful for him to perform. Jotham began ruling
while Uzziah was still alive (due to the leprosy). Jotham did not die at an
old age...he lived only into his early 40s. But he was a godly king. Verse
6 tells us, “So Jotham became mighty, because he prepared his ways before
the Lord his God.”

The late Finis Jennings Dake, in the study notes of his “Dake’s Annotated
Reference Bible” wrote of that verse, “This is the secret of becoming
mighty, great, good, and godly.”

Wow. Again, WHAT is the secret of becoming mighty, great, good, and godly?
It’s preparing your ways before the Lord your God. It’s walking steadfastly before the Lord your God. It’s ordering your ways before the Lord your God. It’s letting the Lord direct your way.


I still like it best in the King James version: “So Jotham became mighty,
because he prepared his ways before the Lord his God.”


Jotham didn’t follow and obey the Lord BY ACCIDENT. He PURPOSED to follow and obey the Lord. He “PREPARED” for it. It was a planned, deliberate,
conscious choice.


That song from “GODSPELL” says, “Prepare ye the way of the Lord”. Of
course, that’s describing the ministry of John the Baptist. But we must also prepare the way of the Lord in our lives. IF WE TRUST IN THE LORD JESUS
CHRIST FOR OUR FORGIVENESS OF SINS AND ETERNAL SALVATION, and if we totally yield ourselves to God’s Word and God’s Will each day, we will indeed become mighty, great, good, and godly.

No comments: