Friday, May 21, 2010

RACHEL'S DAY

“That our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth; that our daughters may be as corner stones, polished after the similitude of a palace:” (Psalm 144:12)

Tomorrow, Saturday, May 22, 2010 is Rachel’s Day. NO, she’s not getting married...I guess someday that may well be her biggest day...but tomorrow, Rachel graduates from Westfield State College.

It does not seem possible that I have a 23-year-old daughter who is graduating from college. For that matter, it does not seem possible that I am 55! I look at all the white hair on my mustache and even the hair on my head which is my head which is now about a third white, and I wonder how it’s possible the years have gone by so quickly! Rachel is our youngest.

Our household was very much like the household I grew up in, in that my parents had 3 kids in a row...VERY close together in age, and Mary Ann and I did the same. In so many ways, I didn’t feel ready for Rachel...not with a 3-year-old boy and a 1-year-old girl at home. Things were already hectic and stressful. A woman at our church at the time (Christian Life Center, Walpole) told us prophetically that Rachel would be a “joy baby” and would bring our family much joy. Early on, I couldn’t see that. Rachel was much more “babyish” than Jon and Amy had been. She was one of those kids that seemingly cried and whined about EVERYTHING. Ironically, though she was babyish, she was far more daring than Jon or Amy had been. Rachel did things like drawing in crayon all over the walls, and constantly “escaping” from the yard. We had to put up a temporary wire fence to keep her penned in! Rachel would climb any tree and try just about any physical feat! One time, my sister Dianne took Rachel out to McDonald’s. Dianne came back troubled, and told me, “Whenever I’ve taken Amy out to McDonald’s there were never any problems. But, Rachel just laid on the floor and would not get up!”

In the early ‘90s when we were without a church building for awhile, we held services at a school and rented an office in a professional building. From time to time I would have to baby-sit Rachel at the office. One time we were walking down the hallway of the professional building, and a heavy set guy in a suit bumped into us. In a loud voice that would remind you of Michelle from “Full House” Rachel loudly said, “That GUY should WATCH WHERE HE’S GOING!”

I don’t want to make it sound like Mary Ann and I were HUGE corporal punishment people, but let’s just say Rachel got the most spankings of the three kids when they were little!

Rachel has spent 5 years at Westfield State- NOT because she did badly in academics...JUST the opposite! I think Rachel’s made Dean’s List every semester and she belongs to one of those prestigious national honor societies with a Greek name. Rachel will graduate with two Bachelor’s Degrees, and in order to complete all the degree work, she needed 5 years in which to do it. The school calls 5th year kids “Super Seniors”. Tomorrow, Rachel will receive a Bachelor’s in Fine Arts and a Bachelor’s in Theater Arts.

I know, I know, “Where’s she gonna get a job in THOSE fields?!”
Well, for a time she will probably have to do something else, BUT I wouldn’t rule out a future for Rachel in one or both of those fields at all!

Rachel’s been active in the college’s Musical Theater Guild for her entire college career, playing lead roles and major roles in most of the productions she’s been in. She was also in a Shakespearian play (“A Midsummer Night’s Dream” ) in the school’s “Black Box” theater. She’s also already been an extra in a couple of films, including one shot in New York City. Rachel’s a grown up now. No more baby stuff. She and a friend took the bus to N.Y.C. to be in the film a couple of months ago. As far as fine arts, I draw like a 2nd Grader, but Rachel does outstanding artwork. I certainly hope she will be able to utilize that talent much in life!

Up until only a year or two ago, Rachel still ate like a 7-year-old. We used to kid her that her wedding meal will consist of cereal, English muffins, grilled cheese sandwiches, and maybe chicken nuggets. Well, when Rachel started eating salad, putting sauce on her spaghetti, and eating more “grown up” meals, I knew she wasn’t a little kid anymore. I knew I would not have to worry about her laying down on the floor at McDonald’s and refusing to get up! (Just kidding, but I couldn’t resist that one!)

Rachel’s a very talented and very bright young woman, and YES she has brought much joy to our family! I’ll probably do some laughing and some crying at the graduation in Westfield tomorrow, but I’m truly very proud of Rachel!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Congratulations to Rachel and all her family on this wonderful achievement!

Anonymous said...

yeah, i eat salad now but don't let that fool you-- i'm still not about to eat a big mac... gross...

i have a tumblr now where i post pictures of my art work if you wanna check it out
http://oingrbg.tumblr.com/