Monday, August 8, 2011

"HARDPAN"

"...To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts." (Hebrews 4:7)

"Hardpan". Actually, until I checked on Google this morning, I thought the term was "hard pan"; and in fact, I wasn't sure if it was a proper geological term, a construction term, or just something my father made up. Maybe it's because I'd be considered a "city slicker" but I'm terribly unfamiliar with most agricultural, geological, and construction terms. My Dad had our house in Canton, MA built by a contractor in 1958. The lot was very small, especially considering the size of many lots in a suburb like Canton. Dad was one of those "children of the Depression" who pretty much never threw anything out. By the early 1970s, the basement of the house was full, and he needed "more storage space". I guess that was before all those storage rental unit things they have today. Dad hired another contractor and had a second building constructed on the property...a 2 car garage with a room for storage above the garage area. I'm not sure why, but when he had the foundation poured for this, he did NOT have a floor done. Maybe it was to save money. Today, my sister owns that property, and several years ago, she had a floor and driveway put in. I remember the days of trying to drive in mud in that "driveway" in the spring. I also remember that the dirt floor led to a lot of dampness in that garage, and that the floor was as hard as a rock.

THAT is where "hardpan" comes in. Years later, my father weighed the benefits of putting in a concrete floor there. He was concerned about the "hardpan" that would have to be taken up. You see we may have gotten mud in the driveway in the spring, but the floor of the garage, though dirt, was hard. It was as hard as iron. No kidding. Now, it was terribly UNEVEN, but it was HARD. I honestly thought maybe Dad had made up the term "hardpan" but this morning I learned he hadn't.

I guess it can take jackhammers to "dig up" the hardpan and prepare a space like that for gravel and concrete to make a proper modern garage floor. Sadly, I suspect that hardpan must be easier to move than a heart that has become hardened. I think unforgiveness has crippled and defeated many Christians...perhaps more so than anything else. For the sake of time and space I won't quote it, but please look up and read Matthew chapter 18, especially the last part of the chapter. If you read that and take it seriously, you'll know you CANNOT allow unforgiveness in your heart for it can and will DESTROY you!

Listen, please don't think I'm some kind of a "holy joe" in this area. Yes, I'm a born-again Christian and I love the Lord, but at times I have struggled greatly with unforgiveness. I thank God He did save me, because if He hadn't, I'd probably be one of the most unforgiving people in the world! I heard a sermon by a radio preacher about unforgiveness when I was 19. In my heart, the Lord showed me that I harbored unforgiveness toward my father. It was affecting my attitude toward him and my relationship with him. When I was 4, I was punished for something I did not do. Listen, my father punished the old fashioned way...the pre-World War 2 way if some of you know what I mean. I was severely punished for something I had not done. I had shoved that memory and unforgiveness into my soul and it was hindering me spiritually and in other ways, as well. You know, as I thought of that it was HARD to forgive him. I struggled with it. Finally I prayed and to the best of my ability, I forgave him and asked the Lord to help me to forgive him and let go of that thing. It did not happen overnight, but within a few weeks, honestly, that was GONE and I was free of it!

I have had to repeat that process regarding other people and other situations scores and scores of times since then. It's never easy. Listen, I'm loaded with faults, myself, and on my own, I don't forgive easily. But it's not worth developing a root of bitterness (see Hebrews 12:15). Now, I'm no bleeding heart liberal. You may ask, "What about a rape victim, is she supposed to forgive the guy?" Ultimately, yes, BUT I believe that guy should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. That's the balance.

This is something I've been thinking a lot about lately. There are a lot of Christians harboring unforgiveness. It's killing and crippling the church and it's killing and crippling them.

Listen, TAKE THIS TO GOD! Forgive! Put God's jackhammer to that HARDPAN in your heart!

No comments: