Friday, April 27, 2012

MY BUCKET LIST

"Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." (Ecclesiastes 12:6-7)

Recently, a woman I know mentioned to me that running as an Official runner in the Boston Marathon is on her husband's "Bucket List". "The Bucket List" was a film out a few years ago. I saw it on DVD. It's about a couple of old guys doing all the things they want to do before they "kick the bucket", or "pass away" or die, depending on what term you prefer. It's a pretty good film.

I was standing passing out flyers at BJs Wholesale Club today, but I must confess I started dreaming and thinking about what items I'd put on MY "bucket list". Some of these may seem very selfish, but a "bucket list" is really not meant to be altruistic; it's a list of things YOU really want to do before you die. These are in no particular order of preference, but these are some of them:

- I'd like to buy a brand new car and enjoy all that goes along with that. It's been a lot of years since we've even had a late model car. As cars cost what houses did fifty years ago, this one would take a major miracle. I would NOT prefer a luxury vehicle. Just an ordinary car or a small SUV (and yes, there ARE "small SUVs") would be fine. I have a slight preference for Ford products, but it would not HAVE to be a Ford. I LOVE the "new car smell". Granted, they say that's caused by toxic chemicals, and the new car smells of today are NOT as pleasant as they were thirty years ago, but I still love that...and the thrill of not having a used car.

- There are places to which I'd love to travel and visit. Believe it or not, Israel is NOT one of them. Most Christians want to go to Israel. I have no desire to go to the Middle East. I really don't have much of a desire to go to Europe, but I MIGHT like to visit the British Isles. Some of my ancestors were from Scotland. That would be a nice place to visit. I'd love to visit Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, and in fact, the U.S. Virgin Islands. Those places would be good for winter visits! I'd also like to visit the Dakotas; to see Mount Rushmore, and visit the International Peace Garden in North Dakota. Of course, I would only visit the Dakotas in the summer! I would love to go back to Alaska. We've visited the Inside Passage (Juneau, Skagway, etc.). This time I'd like to see Anchorage, Fairbanks and some other places.

-I would love to speak in Central Bible College chapel. Considering 2012-2013 will be the final academic year before C.B.C. is merged into Evangel University that does not seem likely. Most ministers who preach in Bible College are those who are considered very successful,and that I am NOT considered. However, I'd love the opportunity. I believe it would be a chapel sermon they'd appreciate and never forget. Maybe preaching at Zion (soon to be Northpoint) in Massachusetts is a little bit more realistic, but I'm not holding my breath in waiting for an invitation.

-I would love to be a fill in radio talk show host on a major Boston station, just one time. I DID do some broadcasting on the now defunct J-LIGHT CHRISTIAN RADIO back in the late 1990s and early 2000s. I had fun when I hosted "The Mortgage Guys" a couple of times. No, I don't know anything about mortgages, but I'd get to say things like, "Welcome back to 'The Mortgage Guys'; Jack from Ashland has a question
about construction loans for 'The Mortgage Guys'; Jack, you're on the air!" Well, lets face it, that's more than most people have done! Just once, just once, I'd love to come in and do three or four hours on WTKK or WBZ or WRKO or a station like that. Just once.

-I would love to write a newspaper column and get paid for it. Some people tell me I should have my own newspaper column. That's flattering, but the fact is newspaper circulations are declining, and newspaper positions are rapidly being eliminated. This one is a dream and may never get beyond the dream stage.

-I'd love to be interviewed by Emily Rooney on "Greater Boston" on Boston's PBS station. Now, I would NOT want to be on there for something BAD I'd done, but rather for something GOOD I'd done. And, until I do some great thing, I probably won't be on there. But if and when I do, Emily please call!

-I've never been to a New England Patriots game at Foxboro. I would LOVE to go! I was actually not much of a Patriots fan until well into the 1990s. I started watching on Sunday afternoons when things were not going well at the church and I was depressed. Watching the Patriots win would really make my day. And, honestly, it's more fun to hear it announced on the radio by Gil Santos. (Rumor has it, Gil may retire soon...say it's not so!!) I'd love the whole experience of going there and experiencing a game live.

-I would love to attend a Presidential Inauguration. I don't really care about the Inaugural BALLS. You can "have" those. I mean the whole speech and swearing in thing. Yes, even if it was President Obama being sworn in for a Second term or a future "President Hillary Clinton" I'd even like to be at THAT. Of course, a Republican President would be even better! I do love history and politics. THAT experience would be just thrilling for me.

So that's some of my "Bucket List". Whaddaya think?!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, tickets for sports games get pricey, but we could go to a pre-season game if you want...those don't cost much, and it's still a patriots game, it just doesn't count in the official scores.
there's a game in august on a thurs. if you wanna go, we can go.

Pete from Colo Spgs said...

Looks like a good list. I'm writing this from Fairmont, Montana, fulfilling a buscket list item for myself, Kris and Jeanne as we will go visit Glacier National Park this week.

Put me down for a World Series game at Fenway, or Coors.

Warm regards.

Amy said...

I agree with Rach. You should go to a preseason game in August! I wish I was home I want to go too! The tickets are only $40 instead of $135!

Bob Baril said...

Seriously, I think Rachel and I are going to do that, Amy!

Bob Baril said...

One "bucket list" item of mine is going to happen! Rachel and I are going to a pre-season Patriots game! It's Aug. 9, Patriots vs. Saints!

Bob Baril said...

Well, the FIRST of these Bucket List items is done! Rachel and I went to the Patriots/Saints pre-season game on Thursday night. It was a blast! The Patriots won!