Monday, May 7, 2012

ENRICHING ENCOUNTER ...WITH GOD

"I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting." (I Timothy 2:8)

Yesterday, May 6, 2012 was "the day". I want to tell you about how it went, and I hope to inspire some of you- especially men- to try something similar and see what happens!I am blessed to currently live just about a seven minute walk from the Webster, MA Beach and Recreation Area. It's often been my habit on Sunday afternoons, to walk over there for a time of personal prayer and Bible reading. Some weeks ago, it occurred to me that my Sunday afternoons spent in this way are a "gem" I should share with others. I thought that perhaps I could gather a few men together on a particular Sunday afternoon, and we'd walk over there and spend some time in Fellowship and Prayer; and that afterward we'd grab a bite to eat at a local family restaurant. I decided that Earth Day- April 22 would be PERFECT for this event, and I put the word out. Alas, on Earth Day we had drenching rain and wind all afternoon. I was very disappointed, but I decided to reschedule to Sunday, May 6 and again promoted this on-line.I had quite a sense of anticipation yesterday morning. How many guys would show up to join me? One? Two? Three? Maybe Five?

At 3:20 p.m. I was all alone in my driveway, and yes, a bit disappointed. But I decided I was going ahead with this GOD ENCOUNTER PRAYER WALK, even if by myself!It was wonderful!I had an awesome, special, and meaningful time! I really believe this made a DIFFERENCE in the spiritual realm. Honestly, with two or three other guys, it WOULD have been more powerful, though. I have decided to share what I did yesterday. I want to CHALLENGE you. MAKE THE TIME! Take a Sunday afternoon. Go to your won "special place outdoors" wherever that is. Invite several guys to join you. Even if they don't, do a prayer walk including special prayer "focuses" like I did, and see if you're not TOTALLY BLESSED!I spent about 90 minutes on this prayer walk. I walked to several different areas of the Webster Lake Recreation Area and focused on 8 different areas for prayer.

FIRST, I stopped in a dirt parking area and made my prayer focus "EARTH". I prayed a prayer of repentance for not having the spiritual impact on this world that I should be having. I was impressed to kneel for about a minute as part of this prayer, and even though it would look foolish to anyone who observed this, I did it.

SECOND, there's a paved walking route through a wooded area. I followed the path, and walked into a clearing off the path. In that clearing, I focused on praying for those I have been at odds with, or "ENEMIES". I (sadly) can hold things against people and sometimes be slow to forgive. This was a time of earnest prayer of forgiveness of others and acknowledging situations where I've failed others.

THIRD, I went to another dirt parking lot and spent time praying for spiritual leaders; for my pastor, for my District Officials and other Christian leaders. Our pastors need prayer! We need to pray earnestly for them! I entitled this focus "ELDERSHIP".

FOURTH and FIFTH, I went to a parking area close to the lake's boat launch area. Here, I focused on two areas, "ECONOMICS" AND "ELECTIONS". I prayed for churches and ministries who are hurting in this difficult economy- that God would bless them and miraculously provide the funds they need, even as he blessed Amy Semple McPherson and enabled her to build Angelus Temple during the most difficult years of the 1930s. I prayed about this Fall's elections: that Godly men and women would be elected to public offices.

SIXTH and SEVENTH, I walked to the actual beach and sat on a picnic table. Here I focused on "EVANGELISM" and "ENTREATIES". I spend time praying for the lost. I also spent time praying for personal needs- for several crises in my personal life. Had several men joined me, I would have had us praying for each other's needs at this point.

Finally, EIGHTH, I walked back to the first dirt parking lot from which I'd started. Once again, my focus was "EARTH". I prayed that in the coming year, in both big and small ways I will have a genuine impact for the cause of Christ in this world. I sang "Jesus Use Me" right out loud and did not care what anyone thought about it.

I walked out of that place feeling PEACEFUL, JOYFUL, and VERY BLESSED! I believe something was really accomplished for God! I do encourage my brothers in Christ to dry doing this. You'll be blessed, and more importantly I believe it WILL have a powerful impact on the Church and on our world!

1 comment:

Amy said...

sorry no one else showed up, but I'm glad you made the most of it and had a great time with God