Friday, May 25, 2012

"MARISA DEFRANCO FOR U.S. SENATE?!"

"...Let another take his office..." (from Acts 1:20 New King James Version)

There is a bright liberal Democrat woman actively campaigning to be the Democratic Nominee who faces Republican Scott Brown in the election for U.S. Senator from Massachusetts. I am NOT talking about "Cherokee Indian" Elizabeth Warren!

I want to make it clear that I am a registered Republican, fairly conservative on most issues, and a huge fan of Senator Scott Brown. I was a fan of Scott Brown's when he was in the Massachusetts State Senate. I always figured he'd eventually become Governor of Massachusetts and that he was about the sharpest Republican politician in the state. I was DELIGHTED when he announced for U.S. Senate to replace the late Ted Kennedy and I've consistently supported him. I plan to vote for Scott Brown in November.

I write this piece, however, because fair is fair.

There is a far more worthy Democrat candidate for the Senate and it's Marisa DeFranco.

You can check out her website at:

www.marisadefranco.com

Marisa DeFranco (first name pronounced MarEEEsa) was the in-studio guest on Dan Rea's "Nightside" program on Boston's WBZ 1030 A.M. last night from 9 to 11. She was a FASCINATING guest! Dan is a personal friend of Scott Brown and of his wife, channel 5 reporter Gail Huff. Dan is conservative on most issues. There's no way Dan will vote for anyone against Scott Brown. But Dan welcomes public figures of all kinds to his show. He has repeatedly invited Elizabeth Warren to be a guest and has been turned down.

It was obvious Dan really liked Marisa DeFranco and was impressed with her. He made it clear that he disagrees with her on most political issues, but he found her to be very affable and a great guest. She was very interesting and likable; although like Dan, I disagreed with about 3/4 of her political positions and would not vote for her.

When Elizabeth Warren announced her candidacy a few months ago, there were several Democrats in the race. Within weeks, all but DeFranco dropped out. Dan Rea asked Marisa why SHE did not drop out. Her response? "I don't scare easy. I never have."

DeFranco is an attorney; primarily an immigration attorney. She explained that she's taken on numerous "hopeless" cases that many other attorneys would not touch. Colleagues have thought she was crazy. Yet, she's WON most of them.

Marisa DeFranco has to get 15% of the vote at the Massachusetts Democrat Convention on June 2 or bluntly she's "toast". IF she gets the 15%, she can be on the ballot for the September 6 Primary. Rea thinks a DeFranco/Brown race would be far more exciting and interesting than a Warren/Brown race. He believes their debates would be far more interesting; and I think so, too.

I don't believe Marisa DeFranco could beat Scott Brown in November, but I don't think Elizabeth Warren can either, despite the fact that Obama will almost certainly carry Massachusetts. I do think this would put DeFranco in a good position to run for Congress in two years and she probably WOULD win that.

Well, "political junkies" out there, what do you think?

3 comments:

Tomas said...

I agree with almost all of what you wrote. Marisa DeFranco is an extraordinary candidate, who would be holding her own in any contest where the playing field was level (i.e. money). It's no wonder Warren doesn't want to debate DeFranco.

The one thing I disagree with you is on whether DeFranco could beat Brown. My contention is that, if she were to overtake Warren in the Democratic primary, she would suddenly be more of a phenomenon than Warren was when she got into the race. I'm sure that you, as a Brown supporter, didn't necessarily want to hear that. Hope it doesn't change your opinion of DeFranco. :-)

Bob Baril said...

Tomas,

Indeed I'm a huge Scott Brown fan, but I must admit you have a good point, there. IF DeFranco were to beat Eliz. Warren in the primary she WOULD be a huge news story. I will say, while I don't agree with most of her politics, she IS impressive...FAR more impressive than Eliz. Warren!

Bob Baril said...

I'm really sorry Marisa DeFranco did not get enough votes at the Democratic convention to get on the ballot. But on a positive note, I think this is much better for Scott Brown. He will easily defeat Elizabeth Warren! I wish Scott Brown the very best!