Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WOULD WBZ GIVE BOB BARIL A CHANCE?

"...ye have not, because ye ask not." (from James 4:2)

It was a great surprise to WBZ listeners that the station's popular overnight host Steve LeVeille announced this week that he is RETIRING at age 57! I'm also 57. There are a host of reasons that I could not remotely imagine retiring at my age- chief of them is that I have no money. Well, technically, I HAVE a retirement account which I could deplete in about seventeen months and then I'd be back to nothing.

It's ironic Steve LeVeille is RETIRING at age 57.

Why?

Listen, it's ironic because there are scores of people who'd love to BEGIN as his replacement at age 57! The chief of those is ME!

Seriously, I'd love to do it!

For those of you who already believe I'm completely crazy, I do understand the odds. The likelihood is that Steve LeVeille will either be replaced by one of the guys who usually "guest hosts" for him, or by someone with an impressive and extensive background in radio broadcasting. Most probably, the person would be someone who has recently worked at a major market or medium market radio station and who is represented by an agent. I know with that kind of competition, I'd be like the fanatical southern lady who is running as this year's Prohibition Party candidate for President of the United States. (There really IS such a person!) She'll get 1% of the vote (mostly write ins) and she'll probably be taken more seriously as a Presidential candidate than I'd be taken as a job candidate to be a radio talk show host on WBZ!

Despite the odds, I'd like to state reasons why I WOULD be a good overnight host on WBZ:

First, I have an outstanding speaking voice. It's loud, clear, and powerful. In the past I had an extreme Boston accent. THAT will kill a broadcasting career unless you're Eddie Andelman. Admittedly traces of that accent may still come through but I have worked very hard to lose the accent.

Second, I'm a great storyteller. That comes from my family background. My Dad was a great storyteller, and my Uncle Raymond was an even better storyteller. These guys would have you RIVETED listening to them, and they'd tell stories you'd NEVER forget. I'm the same way.

Third, I do have extensive public speaking experience. As an Ordained Assemblies of God minister, I probably preached from church pulpits and in other public settings at least 1500 times!

Fourth, I have SOME broadcasting experience. One of my finest memories was of the time in early 1989 that I was an in-studio guest on WBZ's "David Brudnoy Show". I was only supposed to be on for one hour, but David was enjoying it so much, he asked me to stay on for a second hour. In addition, I worked part-time for the now defunct J-LIGHT Christian Radio and did a fair amount of broadcasting there. Broadcast pro Tim Horton who ran the station could vouch for the fact that I did a good job there.

Fifth, I have a good sense of humor; and a good way of connecting with people.

Sixth, I'm interested in the news and what's going on in the world.

If anyone (including any big shots from WBZ) would like to sample what I sound like they can check out a couple of postings on youtube. One is MITT ROMNEY COMEDY THEME SONG located at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZlzX4Qa_do

Another is You HARASS Him!!! located at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAeUtvpV1V0

Say, would YOU please e-mail and call and send this link to the folks at WBZ?! Could I, Bob Baril, be considered for a broadcast position there? Well, if that little lady from the South can run for President on the Prohibition Party platform, WHY NOT?!

No comments: