Wednesday, May 23, 2012

FRIDAY NIGHT "LIGHT"!

"I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me." (John 17:23)

No, the title of this post is not a typographical error! I do know "Friday Night Lights" is the title of a television show which ran for several years on NBC. It was a drama about Texas high school football and one of my favorite shows from the past few years. That's NOT what this piece is about, however.

Jesus Christ is the Light of the World. (That's declared in the Gospel of John.) This Friday night, May 25 a VERY SPECIAL AND IMPORTANT SERVICE is taking place in downtown Marlborough, Massachusetts. Now, before you start snoring or thinking this has nothing to do with you, please keep reading!

I've been an Ordained Assemblies of God minister for over thirty years and a "born again Christian" for over forty years. I've been around. In the evangelical, Pentecostal, and Charismatic Christian worlds, I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly! I expect this to be one of the most important services I've ever attended in my life- no kidding! No, I'm not running the service but I'm very honored to have been asked to be one of a very few people giving a ten minute "sermon"- which I think will be more of a brief "from the heart talk" as anointed by the Holy Spirit. When I preached and taught all the time, I really took it for granted. I have not preached a sermon in six months, and I have not regularly preached and taught in over two years. How humbly and seriously I take this now, and ESPECIALLY for the involvement in this service.

The service will begin at 7:00 p.m. and is expected to run until around 8:30. It will be held at New Hope Community Church (Assemblies of God) at 204 Main Street in downtown Marlboro. New Hope rents from a Brazilian Baptist Church at that facility. Lest anyone start rolling their eyes and picturing a small storefront church- this is a modern, first-class facility which seats (I would estimate) 300 in a beautiful sanctuary, and has an attractive fellowship hall. But the main attraction is NOT the facility.

This is really not an "Assemblies of God" service. This is a service for the whole Christian community. It's being planned as a PRAYER POWER: CHRISTIANS UNITED IN PRAYER service. It will include great worship music, speaking, and most of all earnest prayer. Christians from various churches and denominations will be participating.

The service is the result of the dreams and callings of two wonderful men of God: Pastor Rob Woods, who is pastor of New Hope Community Church at that facility, and Evangelist Bob Gill who holds Ordination from an independent Christian organization in Alabama and is an active Member of the Marlborough Church. These men have been stirred by the Holy Spirit for months to call the Body of Christ in the MetroWest area together for prayer and unity. The plan is for future prayer meetings and services of this type to be held all over the MetroWest area in various churches.

I am excited about this service. I honestly believe God is going to meet us in a very special way. I encourage you to clear your calendar and be in attendance for this meeting if you live anywhere within a fifty mile radius of Marlborough, Massachusetts!

No comments: