Friday, December 28, 2012

NO MORE MICHAEL GRAHAM ON WTKK

"...the labourer is worthy of his hire..." (from Luke 10:7)

To "cut right to the chase" I learned from Michael Graham on Facebook today that he will not be returning to the airwaves of 96.9 WTKK after the holidays. The station has informed him that last Friday's show was, in fact, his last show there. My son Jon commented that last Friday Michael (and the guests who joined him) talked about it being the last show due to the Mayan "end of the world";and then Jon speculated that maybe there was something symbolic in what they were saying.

I have posted about Michael Graham and his show a few times on this blog. I was very upset when the station took his afternoon drive time slot away in the Fall of 2006 and I was delighted when they restored it to him in the Summer of 2011 after he'd worked just about every shift at the station except for the overnight shift! About 85% of the time, I strongly agreed with Michael who is an outspoken conservative Republican, and about 15% of the time I strongly disagreed with him. I will admit that I didn't like the weird way he could use his evangelical background as both an asset and a liability and as something he seemed to be proud of and ashamed of, simultaneously. Well, Michael won't like this part, but I guess that tends to be typical behavior of what we committed evangelicals call "backsliders". That said, Michael is a nice guy and a talented guy. We met briefly a couple of times and we've exchanged a number of e-mails over the past seven years. I hope he lands a good position soon, and I wish him well. And, honestly, I'd like to see him come back into the evangelical fold!

No comments: