Tuesday, August 8, 2006

DO IT NOW!

"...That thou doest, do quickly."  (from John 13:37).  In the NEW King James Version, it reads, "...What you do, do quickly."

Procrastination.  My paperback dictionary defines it as, "to put off doing (something) until later; delay."  It comes from the Latin "pro" meaning "forward" and "cras" meaning "tomorrow".  One trait I really dislike in people is a tendency to procrastinate.  I think I wrote something about procrastination some time ago on this blog, but it's on my mind today, so I'm going to write about it again!

My late parents were each procrastinators.  I think my father was the worst of the two, but both were really bad.  They say the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.  Well, they did so much procrastinating they built several interstate highways!  (Thank God they each put their trust in Jesus and went to Heaven!)  While I don't ALWAYS succeed, I try very strongly to NOT be a procrastinator!  I try to get things done.

Over the years I've heard people talk (or in many cases boast) of all the things they're going to do.  Some have talked and talked and talked- and still little (if anything) is done.  Have you ever seen "a round tuit"?  It's actually a card in the shape of a circle with the word "tuit" printed in the middle.  You're supposed to give one to someone who is always saying, "I will do this or that when I get around to it".  Well, give them "a round tuit" and they won't have much choice!

My parents left so many unfinished projects.  They left so much undone.  It's really tough to "inherit" what's left behind by people who really needed someone to give them a round tuit.  What is it you've been meaning to do?  My advice, well do it, already!

We've had a sinkhole in our church parking lot since early March.  A large metal plate and orange rubberized cone cover the sinkhole.   Our paving contractor is right around the corner.  I have lost track of how many phone calls I've made to the paving contractor- how many little notes I've written to the paving contractor- I even gave the paving contractor a $10. gift card to Dunkin' Donuts and wrote with it something like, "This is a thank you in advance for getting to our sinkhole repair soon."  That Dunkin' gift card was over two months ago.  It's not like I'm asking them to do it for free.  We're a paying customer!  In writing this piece I realize I should have given the paving contractor "a round tuit".  Incidentally, if you want to know the name of the paving contractor, just e-mail me and I'll let you know.  And, if you know of a good, FAST, paving contractor, let ME know!

I know from my other pastor friends that pastors are constantly frustrated with things around the church and around the parsonage not getting done.  They're constantly frustrated with promises from church people NOT being kept.  I know one woman who says, "But it's NOT like this in a BIG church."  Actually, it is.  I was on staff at a big church, and I know it can be.  I also know big church pastors who are just as frustrated as small church pastors.  Instead of 8 promises not being kept at the small church, there are 80 of those not being kept at the big church.

Dealing with procrastinators is tough- especially if the procrastinators are volunteers and/or are relatives.  You want to just get in their faces and yell at them like Sergeant Carter of the old Gomer Pyle show, or like Chef Gordon Ramsay of the new Hell's Kitchen show.  But you have to be civil, so you just CAN'T.

I guess that's why I'm writing this today.  In many areas of my life right now I'm dealing with procrastinators.  Like the line from "Old MacDonald" it's "here a procrastinator, there a procrastinator, everywhere a procrastinator"!

What have you given your word you're going to do?  Do it!
What do you see that needs to be done and you can take care of it?  Do it!

I realize the Bible verse I quoted above is Jesus telling Judas to hurry up and get the business of betraying Him over with!  But, think of it, if even Jesus was saying to Jesus, "Hurry up and get the business of betraying me over with!"  He mustn't like procrastination either!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to the above.  I could write a book.