Monday, August 28, 2006

MEINEKE - ANOTHER BAD BUSINESS EXPERIENCE

I know it’s only midday on Monday and I’m not due to add something to the blog until Tuesday, but I can’t wait.  Back in the late 1970s, the country Gospel group called “The Gaithers” did a song called “I’m Makin’  List of ‘Won’t bes’ in Heaven”.  It’s a lighthearted song about bad stuff that won’t be in Heaven.  Well, today, although I’m in a rotten mood right now, I’m happy that there won’t be Meineke Car Car centers and there won’t be tricky and greedy business people.

I had actually PLANNED for my Tuesday piece to be a happy piece about our 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass wagon being “raised from the dead” after being disabled for months in our driveway.  After a mechanic friend’s hard work, it was actually made drivable on Saturday.  The car badly needed an exhaust system, and needs a current inspection sticker, so I took it to Meineke Muffler on Route 135 at the Framingham-Natick line earlier today.

I’ve had two exhaust systems put on the ‘93 Olds (which we affectionately call “Whitey”) since buying it in late November of 1997.  I had all the paperwork which showed I had a “lifetime” muffler from Meineke.  Now, everybody repeat after me:  “Meineke lies- you cannot believe them!”  In case anyone is having trouble figuring that one out, it’s because Meineke lies- you cannot believe them.

Back in the ‘90s and very early 2000s, there was a very nice heavyset guy around 60 who ran that Meineke shop.  He was a very pleasant, honest, generous guy.  I’m not sure if he retired or what, but he no longer runs the place.  The last time I was at Meineke was last November with my 1989 Volkswagen Golf.  The new manager (or “owner” or whatever) was a skinny dark-haired bespectacled guy around thirty.  He was also a very nice guy in every way.  He even gave me a clergy discount.

Today’s manager or owner or whatever was young, fat, dark-haired, BADLY in need of a shave and talked like he had a mouth full of marbles.  Unlike those other two guys he had NO personality- and I mean NO personality.  And, unlike those other two guys he had no compassion.  He flatly refused to treat the muffler as a “lifetime” muffler.  He had a couldn’t care less attitude.  My daughter Rachel has been paying for Whitey’s repairs.  We are going to let her use Whitey at Westfield State College this year.  She leaves on Monday.  She gave me $140 in cash toward the exhaust system work which cost over $300.  My wife had high hopes for today as it’s our Anniversary.  Well, so much for those high hopes.  I also took Whitey for an inspection sticker (to a gas station where we usually go.  The gas station guy is foreign which does not help because I am terrible with understanding foreign accents.)  The bottom line is there was an emissions problem and I have to bring the car back after two.  So it’s been a lousy day so far, but it could have been a LOT better if the Meineke guy had been reasonable.  As far as I’m concerned, I was ripped off for at least $160 at Meineke.

Will we write a complaint letter to Meineke corporate offices?  Probably, although I suspect it won’t do any good.  And, although I’ve got those “lifetime muffler” slips for my ‘89 VW and our 2000 Dodge Caravan, it’s likely I will go to Midas or somewhere  else next time.

It’s too bad so many businesses and business people care so much about the BUCK and so little about service and customer relations- in other words, PEOPLE.

“And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.”
(Luke 6:31)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should write the corporate office.  They need to know how their managers are representing them.  Another why am I not surprised day.

Anonymous said...

There should be some way for the individual customer to be able to get satisfaction from this company. Meineke has many complaints filed against them all over the net, but it doesn't seem to bother them any. Nobody is getting any satisfaction, and Meineke just keeps rolling along, doing shoddy, substandard work, refusing to honor their WRITTEN guarantees, and basically thumbing their noses at their customers.

Taken from: www.ripoffreport.com

Anonymous said...

Bob, you should definitely make a formal complaint.  You can do it right online.  Just go to their website at www.meineke.com and you'll be directed right to customer service for the specific location of the particular shop you got ripped off from after clicking on the correct buttons.  Good luck!

Jennie