Thursday, August 24, 2006

DON'T FLY NORTHWEST AIRLINES!

This morning, I’m back to the blog after being away from New England for nine days or so!  I’ll probably share some things about my road trip to Missouri in the next entry, but today I want to talk about my (to use a Don Imus term) “awful” trip home on Northwest Air on Tuesday!

My daughter Amy drove me to the Springfield-Branson Regional Airport, Missouri airport (there, it’s SO convenient- just down the street!) and came in to accompany me as I checked my suitcase and got my boarding pass.  The female Northwest employee (who was perhaps from India) was kind of curt.  “She just doesn’t want to do her job!” was Amy’s comment to me, and I agreed.  At Springfield, MO, most of the carriers have their gates and waiting areas in an attractive upstairs terminal.  Northwest’s was on the first floor kind of “off the beaten path” if there’s such a thing at an airport.  The flight from Missouri left on time and arrived at Detroit on time.  I was surprised that no connecting information was announced toward the end of the flight.  That’s usually done on United and virtually always done on American.

I had never been to Detroit airport before.  The place was much bigger than I’d expected.  It was smaller than Chicago O’Hare where I usually connect through, but pretty big.  Upon checking “Departures”. my Northwest flight to Providence was listed as leaving on time (9:12 p.m.) but there was no gate listed.  I checked another screen and it listed Gate 12.  It was a hike, but I wanted to make sure I was there by 8:35, and I was- only there was no plane sitting outside.  Shortly thereafter, an airline employee announced there was a delay and we’d be departing at 10:30.  Young kids fidgeted and elderly folks were frustrated but most of us just sat and waited.  Little did I know, that was only the beginning.  In a short while, the departure time was changed to 11:55!  We were told the plane was coming from Chicago Midway, was being repaired and that no other plane was available for us.  Since Detroit is Northwest’s hub, and there are planes and flight crews available all over the place, we found that hard to believe.  In time, the departure time was changed to 1:15, then to 1:55, then to 2:20, then to 3:00 a.m.  At five minutes before one, it was announced that the flight was canceled!  We were told we’d have to get in line and get new boarding passes for another flight on Wednesday.  Customers were also being given hotel vouchers for the airport Best Western hotel.  After a time, it was announced the flight was NOT canceled but would be leaving at 7:00 a.m.!  Some people already had boarding passes for later flights and were gone to the hotel.

Most people opted for the hotel.  I was one of six who did not.  I knew I’d never sleep and I’d only be at the hotel for about two hours, so what was the point.  A number of people who’d gone to the hotel regretted it.  One told of bugs in his room biting him.  Another told of banana peels in the room.  Another had trouble with getting the water to drain in the shower.

A Northwest employee did tell those of us in the terminal of some more comfortable chairs (living room type) in another part of the terminal where we could sack out.  I got there around 2:15.  At 3:15 the Northwest employee came by and gave us all breakfast vouchers good at the restaurants in the terminal.  I “got up” just before 5 and had breakfast at McDonald’s.  I’d say I actually “slept” for one hour.  

The plane actually took off at 7:30.  This particular plane was noisy and to me just didn’t feel right.  Honestly, I was scared it would crash on takeoff, but we made it to Rhode Island just before 9 a.m.  At T.F.Greene airport, there was a power failure and they were operating on an emergency generator.  I had fun using the facilities in a pretty dark Men’s room.  The electricity came back on shortly thereafter, but we waited and waited for our baggage.  Regarding baggage that did not seem to be forthcoming, one guy was told “that’s all there is, file a claim” by an airport employee!  That did not sound right to me.  We were then sent to one baggage area and then to another, but we finally got our baggage.  At least that was a GOOD thing!

One thing I did not tell you is that passengers who’d arrived at Detroit around 7 (I got there at 8) were sent to Gate 66, then abruptly sent to Gate 12, so that was another negative experience.  This blog entry is the condensed version of the trip home.  I don’t plan to fly Northwest again.  I hope you won’t, and I hope you’ll tell your friends.

I know I always have some Bible reference for my blog entries.  This one is a little long, so I won’t write it out, I’ll just give the reference.  It’s Acts 16:35-38.  There, after having been mistreated at Philippi by the local officials, Paul is told to just go in peace.  Paul did not “turn the other cheek” that time - he verbally let them have it!  I think the reference fits!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well acording to the paper and news there down sizeing and telling there laidoff people to look in the trash for there needs . Yes avoid at all cost flying them this is a disaster waiting to happen they should be grounded  now !!!!!!!!!!  so glad your home safe .

Anonymous said...

Welcome home from your trip to the ozone.  As I often say you should write a book.

Anonymous said...

that lady was a jerk and it was absolutly absurd the way that you were all treated in detroit. even when my flight was canceled out of springfield because "the flight crew needs a rest" and didn't show up, they found another plane to send us!