Monday, September 18, 2006

AN APPOINTMENT IN BOSTON

I was going to wait and post this early Tuesday morning (September 19) to have the posting coincide with my 52nd birthday and because I “normally” like to post on Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays...BUT this couldn’t wait.

For the past several years, as a birthday present to myself, I’ve gone into Boston “for the day” either on my birthday, on the day before my birthday, or on the day after my birthday.  Since I have church commitments for Tuesday, September 19, I decided to make today, Monday, September 18 my “birthday treat” to Boston.

I took the 8:30 train from Framingham and arrived at Back Bay Station around 9:15.  I spent a little time around Copley Place, then took the Orange line to the theater district area and walked to the Boston Public Garden.  This is the third year in a row that I’ve been at the Boston Public Garden on the day when the swan boats were being disassembled and hauled away to be put in storage for the winter.  It’s a pretty sad sight and is a harbinger that winter and cold weather are right around the corner.  That was difficult to believe today as it was sunny and warm and even somewhat humid and summery.  

I walked over to Wendy’s on Boylston Street and had an early lunch there.  Then I walked back to the Boston Public Garden.  Much of what I was doing today was walking and praying and reading my Bible.  As I sat on a bench  around 12:15 reading my Bible, a slim, dark-haired, bearded “thrityish” man looked at me and asked me if I was a Christian.  I replied that I was.  He said, “Please give me a Bible verse to help me!”

I turned and read him 2 Timothy 1:7, “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”

The guy told me his name, but to keep it anonymous I’ll call him “Charles”.  Charles told me he IS fearful, but rationalized that since he is fearful of sinning it’s O.K.  He went on to say that he’s been a Christian (in the true Biblical sense) for eighteen years.

“I had eighteen years of chastity,” he said,”but last month I fell and had sex with a woman.  That’s all I can think about.  Right now the reason I’m in this park is I’m walking around looking for girls.”  

I had him sit down.  I shared some Scripture with him, gave him a pep talk, and laid hands on him and prayed for him right out loud in public.  He was very receptive.  As I’d prayed, I compared him to King David.  When I finished he was kind of blown away.  He told me he’s constantly thinking he’s like King Saul and that God is going to reject him.  I told him, “No.  You’re not like Saul, you’re like David, and that’s why God had me pray that way.”

I gave him my card and encouraged him to e-mail me.  I felt quite humbled that God had used me to minister to this young man Charles.

I started heading for the Orange line station and I realized I would not likely make the 1:10 train out of Back Bay.  I didn’t want to have to wait for the 2:45, but I concluded that if I did, I’d just do more reading and praying around Back Bay Station.

At the Medical Center/South Cove Orange Line “T” Stop I waited and waited for a subway train. Finally one came.  I glanced at my watch and realized there was no way I could make the 1:10 train at Back Bay.  

We got to Back Bay at around 1:12 and I hurried up one set of stairs and down another.  At around 1:14 the train was SECONDS from pulling out!  I ran and got on the train JUST IN TIME.

I wondered if God allowed the train to be late as sort of a reward because of the time I’d spent ministering to Charles.
Yup, I had an appointment in Boston today!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend a beautiful day.  God's timing is always perfect.

Anonymous said...

S'always sad when the swan boats go away...
I miss Boston....

Anonymous said...

This column (or blog) just confirms to me that you are indeed a "prayer warrior" and that God is using you in a very special way.  He's certainly used you in my life.  God bless,
Jennie

Anonymous said...

First, I'm glad your "appointment" went well and was well arranged.
Second, happy birthday! 52? ....young whipper snapper.