Sunday, September 24, 2006

"JERRY NO-STAY" PART 2

(See entry for Sunday, September 17, 2006 to truly appreciate this one!)
I almost didn't write this, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea or a bad idea to share it, but here goes:

This morning the church phone rang around 8:45 a.m.  I had been at the door greeting people who were arriving early for coffee and doughnuts before Sunday School.   I heard the phone ringing, and I went into our conference room.  One of our members had answered the phone but was having trouble hearing and understanding the caller.  I picked up the call.  I was also having a hard time hearing the guy on the phone.  He wanted directions to the church, but thought we were located at 1 Edgell Rd.  I explained to him that we'd rented an office at that location in the early 1990s but that it was a very out-of-date address.  He'd gotten the address and phone number off the internet.  I wonder:  where?!  If you do a search for "First Assembly of God of Framingham" you'll quickly find a link that gives a webpage about our church with a photo, our current address and information, and a place to "click" to e-mail us.  When the caller found out our address was 32 South Street, he was disgusted.

"I was there last week" he said.  Yes, it was the guy I called "Jerry-No-Stay".  He was trying to find a GOOD Assemblies of God church in Framingham as opposed to our worldly and apostate church where the pastor is rude and uncouth, there is "no prayer or Bible reading" and the material used is worldly and inappropriate.

I did my best to try to explain that every week there is a LOT of prayer and Bible reading at our church and that he really never gave us a chance.  I also explained that we are the only English-speaking Assemblies of God church in Framingham.  (There are at least 4 Portuguese-speaking Brazilian ones, and I think there's one Spanish-speaking Assemblies of God church.)  He was frustrated.  As much as I wanted to hang up on him, I calmly told him there's a large Assemblies of God church in Wayland and I gave him some information about it.

I ditto everything I wrote last week.  HOW can a person so thoroughly judge and condemn a pastor and a church after just a few minutes in attendance?

We had a pretty good Sunday School class and service.

No joke, we had a visitor for the service.   He sat through the praise and worship music part of the service fine.  About five minutes into my sermon, he walked out!

Is it me?  :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, it is not you.  They are looking for a "perfect" church.  They came in gunning for bear, as the saying goes.  They will be doing a lot of travelling in their search.  Lucky for them gas prices are going down.

Anonymous said...

I believe the word you are looking for is ... CONVICTION ...

Anonymous said...

Let's try a more Christian theory about our fellow man...

Your visitor may have really, really wanted to be there, but must go to work and can't stay for the whole service so he stays absolutely as long as he can before having to leave.