Tuesday, February 13, 2007

MONEYCHANGERS IN THE CHURCH?

“And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father’s house an house of merchandise.”  (John 2:16)

In one of the most dramatic events of Jesus’ ministry, he makes a whip out of cords and goes after the merchants and moneychangers in the Temple, flipping over their tables, and driving them out.  I wonder what the Lord’s opinion of a lot of the merchandising in today’s evangelical churches is.

There’s a Christian musical group that’s been highly recommended to me by several people.  I made an effort to get in touch with the person who handles the groups bookings and that person phoned me a few days ago.

The “booking woman” was very excited to talk to me and very enthusiastic about setting up a booking.  I wanted to make sure she was clear about a couple of things so I stated right up front, “Please understand that our church has limited resources and is very small.”

“That’s NO problem,” she replied, “because we come strictly with TICKET SALES!  You charge $10. a ticket ahead of time.”

I told her my very conservative Board might have a problem with that.  (Actually, I had a problem with that, myself. )
“I’d really prefer you come on a love offering basis,” I said, “I can assure you, you’d get at least $200. in a love offering.”

I don’t think she was impressed.

“Just how many people can your church facility seat?” she asked.
I replied, “Ninety.”

“Oh, THAT small?!” she replied.
She quickly began making excuses.  It was obvious this group had no interest in coming to minister (or is it “perform”?) for ninety people and was not excited about a $200-$300 love offering.

“Maybe you could get a BUNCH OF OTHER LITTLE CHURCHES to go in on this together with you and hold it at a school or something.” she offered.  I indicated that might be a possibility, but in the words of a Harry Chapin song, “I know it’d never be arranged.”

My mind goes back over twenty years to when I was on staff at a large church which seated 650.  One Sunday evening, we had a very famous Gospel group in to minister (or is it “perform”?).  At intermission time, the director of that group insisted on taking the offering.  He told the audience that if they’d have purchased tickets to see their group in a stadium, the tickets would have cost at least $20. apiece.  He had the ushers pass out large envelopes in which they could drop in a $20. check or $20. in cash, and they were instructed to fill in name and address information.

“Now,” he added, “I know some of you may not have $20.”

I fully expected him to tell them that in that case, they ought to just enjoy the concert for free.  But that was not the case.

“We want to give you the opportunity to give, too.”  he said.
“Just fill in your name and address and write ‘CONTACT ME’ on the envelope,” he instructed, “and we’ll send you a reminder that you agreed to MAIL US $20.!”

If I were the Senior Pastor and not an Assistant, I would have grabbed the mike at that point, and the concert would have been over.  I know I would have seemed mean, but I think Jesus would have started throwing stuff around!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again I will say, why am I not surprised?  Sounds like they worship  the "almighty dollar".  Very sad!

Anonymous said...

what is this world coming to??? asking for people to be BILLED for the ministry concert they are seeing?!?!?! rediculous

Anonymous said...

I realize people need money in order to keep the ministry going, but sheesh... CHARGING like it's a regular rock concert? why not just go perform in a theater then? if all they want is the money, then they ain't worth getting.
if i were at the concert where the guy was twisting your arm to give, i'd of purposely giving nothing... that's just rude...
...so why do you put a period after every dollar amount you write? like, "i wanted $20. for something..." ...that's weird...have you always done that?