Tuesday, February 6, 2007

THIS BLOG HAS A BIRTHDAY!

“But when Herod’s birthday was kept, the daughter of Herodias danced before them, and pleased Herod.”  (Matthew 14:6)

This week, this blog has a birthday!  It’s one year old, having been started on this week in 2006.  Will we have someone doing a Middle Eastern belly dance to celebrate as King Herod did for his birthday?  I think not!  (As an aside, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not celebrate birthdays because anytime a birthday is mentioned in the Bible it’s for a worldly occasion by people who are not followers of God.  Conversely, the only religious group I’ve ever heard of who doesn’t celebrate birthdays are the JWs!  Born-Again Christians - like me - LOVE to celebrate birthdays.  I know the blog is not a person, but since I started the blog, I’m considering this week is the blog’s “birthday”!)

I sort of started the blog with fear and trembling.   At that time, I had only recently learned that “blog” is short for “web log”.  I thought only really computer savvy people had blogs.  I DID read an article in “Leadership”, a journal for ministers, which strongly encouraged ministers to start and maintain their own blogs.  I HAD tried to start a blog in November 2005, but “chickened out”.    I got my courage up on the first week of February of 2006 and I’ve been at it ever since.

The greatest thrill I had (regarding the blog) was being featured in the Framingham Tab newspaper during the summer of 2006 because of my blog!  I later learned that Michelle Swartz who writes the blog “This is Framingham”
had suggested they contact me.  I’m very grateful to her for that, and I’ve been a reader of her blog ever since.

I’m very opinionated and I like to write.  Over the years I have submitted a number of letters and columns to the MetroWest Daily News.   Some have been run, and some have not.   What I like about the blog is that I don’t have to deal with any newspaper editors who “don’t get” what I’m writing.  I can post stuff right here.

I have a lot of fun writing this blog.  I am thrilled when I run into someone who reads it.  I do get disappointed when I don’t think enough people are reading it and I don’t think enough people are contacting me about what I’ve written, but I understand that just “goes with the turf” when you write a blog.  The Lord willing, I’ll still be writing it one year from today (see James 4:13-15).  Well, if I were Jay Severin of 96.9 FMTalk I’d be making that kazoo noise he makes when he speaks of his radio program having a birthday!

(Please read the piece that follows this one, entitled, ‘MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT ABOUT AOL JOURNALS’.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY
TO YOU TO YOU TO YOU OLE!

(little blast from the past for you)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!  Your blogs are great...Keep them coming

Anonymous said...

As I was drving around locally, I saw the greatest come back for this blog entry
A Birthday is a good thing, the more you have the longer you live ...

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to blog.
...that should be someone's name.