Tuesday, February 27, 2007

CRAZY ENOUGH TO TELL YOU

“I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;  
For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.”  (I Timothy 2:1-2)

A few weeks ago, I wrote a piece on the occasion of the “First Birthday” of this blog.  I mentioned that the main reason I started a blog is that is was recommended in a powerful article in “Leadership” which is a journal for ministers.  The author of the piece about blogs strongly recommended that a minister’s blog should NOT be political.  (Maybe that’s because so many people stereotype evangelicals as being part of the “religious right”.)  For the MOST part I have steered clear of politics on this blog, although probably three or four pieces over the past year HAVE been quite political.  I very much doubt the pastor who wrote the article about blogs in “Leadership” would be happy with what I’m doing today.  He might even think what I’m doing is crazy, because today I’m crazy enough to tell you what I think of the presidential candidates and who I want to be the next President.   After you read this, you may well think my political judgment IS crazy...but I MIGHT THINK THE SAME THING ABOUT YOUR POLITICAL JUDGMENT!

I’ve been “all over the place” politically over my lifetime.  My parents were registered Democrats.  My father was a conservative Democrat.  I’d say the famous Boston city councilor Albert “Dapper” O’Neil would very much exemplify his politics.  My mother was a moderate Democrat who leaned slightly left.  I think Jimmy Carter and Edmund Muskie very much reflected her politics.  When I registered at eighteen, I did not choose either party.  I voted for George McGovern for President in 1972 and I voted for Jimmy Carter for President in 1976.  A major change took place in my political philosophy between 1976 and 1980, however.  By 1980, I was pretty firmly conservative in my beliefs and I had changed my registration to Republican.  My parents were “Reagan Democrats”, and in 2000 (less than 5 months before her death) my mother changed her registration to “Unenrolled” and voted for John McCain in the Republican primary.

I know, I know, I said I’d talk about who I want for President and I’m not getting to the point.  Well, I’ll try to do that now.  I really don’twant any of the Democrats running to be President.  By far the WORST choice for President would be Hillary Rodham Clinton.  I know this is really blunt, and I don’t HATE Hillary, but I do agree with Don Imus that she is “a phony”.  Like Bill Clinton, Hillary checks out the polls and then voices her opinion.  I believe that in her heart, Hillary is, (as Jay Severin says) “a dedicated Marxist”, but she’ll say ANYTHING to get elected.  Well, more correctly, she’ll SHRIEK anything to get elected President.  Would I leave the country if Hillary is elected President?  I very much DON’T think that she’ll be elected President, but IF it happens, yes there’s actually a chance I would leave the country.  I think Barak Obama is a very charismatic and interesting guy, but he’s too inexperienced at the national level to be running for President, and he is just to liberal for my taste.  Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico actually isn’t TOO bad, nor is Senator Joe Biden of Delaware.  A weird as it may sound to some of you, I kind of like John Edwards, despite that crazy line he delivered in 2004 about cripples leaping out of their wheelchairs if the Democrats were elected.  But NONE of them move me enough for me to want them to be President.

I know Mitt Romney is the darling of many of the local radio talk show hosts.  I did vote for Mitt for Governor in 2002.  I also voted for Mitt for U.S. Senator against Kennedy back in 1994.  I think Mitt was a “just O.K.” governor.  He wasn’t terrible.  He wasn’t great.  He was “just O.K.”  I think his health care plan is totally stupid and will not work.   I am DEAD against that health care plan, and I’m really embarrassed that a Republican put it on the table!  Mitt also raised so many fees, I’m surprised he doesn’t just change his name from Mitt Romney to “Mitt Fee”.  (Incidentally “Fee” is a real last name.  I know a guy named Mark Fee!)  I will not vote for Mitt Romney in the Massachusetts Republican primary in 2008.  Mitt has changed his positions on gay rights and on abortion.  Mitt has gone from being a moderate (left-leaning) Republican to supposedly being the Second Coming...of RONALD REAGAN.  I know, I know, Ronald Reagan was once a liberal Democrat.  But Ronald Reagan’s politics evolved over a number of decades and not over a couple of years.  The Mormon religion thing WILL hurt Romney.  I’ve already indicated I’ve voted for him in the past and his religion is not a factor for me, but it IS a factor for many evangelicals.  

Rudy Guliani is (on most issues) a liberal Republican.  When it comes to faithfulness in his marriages, well, just the word “marriages” pretty much says it all... he WASN’T.  I’ve heard Guliani is kind of an arrogant and not likable guy.  That may be, but he made a fabulous mayor of New York during the aftermath of 9/11.  I won’t vote for Guliani in the Massachusetts Republican primary, but I prefer him to Romney.

I will admit I’m troubled by reports (I’m not sure if they’re accurate) that John McCain just changed his position on abortion from pro-life to pro-choice.  If that’s true, it does bother me.  John McCain is NOT perfect.  I don’t ALWAYS agree with him.  I DO deeply respect him.  It really bothers me that many (most?) right-wing Republicans speak of John McCain NOT as a “moderate Republican”, NOT as a “conservative Republican” but as a “LIBERAL”!  In 2000, the George W. Bush people did everything nasty and dirty they could to present McCain as a “LIBERAL” and to encourage conservatives to vote for Bush.  In 2000, I voted for McCain in the Republican primary.  That fall, I voted for Pat Buchanan for President.  I “held my nose” and voted for Bush in 2004, but it was with almost no enthusiasm.  I DO think, incidentally, that George W. Bush is a born-again Christian and that John McCain is NOT.  Even so, I’d take McCain as president ANY day over Bush.  As my sister (who admires McCain even more than I do) says, “You’re NOT voting for the Preacher, You’re voting for the President!”  (Incidentally, George W. Bush may be a born-again Christian, but a “preacher” he ain’t!)

It’s commonly said that McCain is “soft on terrorists”.... that he’d passively let a terrorist ringleader sit and sip lemonade in a pleasantly apportioned cell even though that terrorist may have knowledge of an upcoming event on the level of another 9/11.  If you REALLY think McCain feels that way, I guess there’s nothing I could say to change your mind. John McCain is a PATRIOT.  He’s officially against “torture”.  So am I.  BUT, do you really think if a 9/11 were on the line, he’d let that guy sit and sip lemonade?  No way!

It’s commonly said that McCain is “soft on illegal aliens”.  Actually, he is.  So is George W. Bush.  So is Ted Kennedy.  So are most of our politicians.  I don’t hate illegal aliens.  I think many of them are just trying to better themselves.  All that said...NO they shouldn’t be here illegally.  We DO need to secure our borders.  We do need to go after EMPLOYERS who hire illegal aliens.  We do need to go after landlords who rent illegal apartments- as has happened frequently here in Framingham, MA.  I’d like to see McCain be tougher on this issue, along with the other politicians I’ve  named.  Do you think Romney would be THAT much tougher on illegals than McCain is?  I don’t.  

I DO believe McCain is a pretty straight talker.  The guys who served with John McCain in Vietnam have the HIGHEST of respect for him.  Are you familiar with his life story?  It’s a fascinating life story.  What he underwent as a P.O.W. in Hanoi...well it moves me to tears.   I know we need to be careful (as Christians) of idolatry.  I know McCain definitely has his faults.  I also know if he walked in this room right now, I’d be instantly on my feet saluting.  I’d also be wiping away the tears saying, “Thank you for all you’ve done for this country.”  

As a pastor, I really do TRY to NOT be too political.  I do not give endorsements from the pulpit, and I will not allow voter registration drives or anything like that at church.  BUT, in my PRIVATE life, this is how I feel about John McCain.  Would I consider going up to New Hampshire next winter to stand and hold signs for McCain, or knock on doors to give out literature, and “stuff like that”?  I absolutely will consider that, yes.  I know he’s old.  If elected he will be older than Ronald Reagan was when elected.  It’s a gut feeling; but if John McCain is the Republican nominee, he absolutely will win.  AND, he absolutely will be one of our greatest presidents.  

Yup, I was crazy enough to tell you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog.....The only one that scares me is Hillary.  I believe she had her eyes on the White House while Bill was governor of Arkansas.  She knew that she couldn't make it without him.   I hope you are right about her not winning

Anonymous said...

i hope mccain wins too. see, you know me, i never know much about the politics stuff, so reading this helps me out! haha.

Anonymous said...

I liked McCain last time he ran ... But then he bowed out ... I also would have voted for Colin Powel ... But he never put his hat in the running .. Why is that when you like a candidate ... They end up either never putting their hat in the ring or bowing out and not running ... in the end you are left with the better of the two evils .....