Tuesday, December 4, 2007

JUST THE FACTS, PLEASE

“...thy word is truth” (from John 17:17)

This morning on his new radio program, Don Imus interviewed several Presidential candidates from both parties.  (Incidentally, as you cross reference this with my last posting, you may think that I don’t tell the truth.  I never said I wouldn’t ever listen to “Imus in the Morning” again.  I just stated I liked the old show better and I’m somewhat disappointed in the new show.)  Anyway, Governor Bill Richardson, who is one of the Democrats running for President, made THIS statement:   “Of the past eight Presidents, seven of them has either been a Governor or an ex-Governor.”

That statement was taken as fact and not questioned.  It’s not correct!

The present President, George W. Bush WAS a Governor, so that’s ONE.
Just before him in office was Bill Clinton who was Governor of Arkansas, so that’s TWO.
George Bush, Senior was not a Governor.
Ronald Reagan was Governor of California, so that’s THREE.
Jimmy Carter was Governor of Georgia, so that’s FOUR.
Gerald Ford was a long time Congressman but as far as I know he was never a Governor.
Richard Nixon did run for Governor of California in 1962, but he lost.  He was never a Governor.
Lyndon Baines Johnson was a Congressman and a U.S. Senator.  To the best of my knowledge he was never a Governor.
and, if we’re counting John F. Kennedy, who technically would make 9 Presidents (but one of 8 of the most recent former Presidents) he was a Congressman and a U.S. Senator but definitely never a Governor.

If anybody can prove to me that Goerge Bush, Sr. or LBJ or Nixon or Ford or JFK were ever Governors of states, I’ll stand corrected, but I don’t think you’ll be able to!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the sign of a true history major. only you would get so ticked off by that kind of thing.
with you being so interrested in past presidents' lives, you'd think I would know something about politics... guess Jon got all that.