Monday, February 25, 2008

HOMEWORK, ANYONE?

“Study to shew (show) thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2 Timothy 2:15)

Early in his Monday morning broadcast,  Michael Graham on Boston’s 96.9 WTKK was talking about how LITTLE homework most American kids get and the fact that we are behind most industrialized nations when it comes to academics.  I found that interesting because I “guest taught” four theology classes at Framingham’s Marian (Catholic) High School on Monday.  (The first two classes were roughly at 7:30 and 8:20; then I had a break before coming back to teach at 10:05 and 10:55.)  I gave a general overview of the life and significance of Saint Paul.  (If I do say so, myself, it’s a excellent talk which a lot of adults would find interesting!)  Most of the kids were well behaved and received it quite well.  I was struck by the fact that Mr. McGarry gave his classes a fairly demanding homework assignment due on Thursday.  The Freshmen have to write a 600 word paper on Saint Paul, using three sources.  The Sophomores have to write an 800 word paper on Saint Paul, using four sources.  Those assignments would have been no big deal for me when I was in college, but in HIGH SCHOOL,  would have been pretty intimidated by such an assignment being due in just 3 days or so.

In junior high and high school (well, even in the upper grades of elementary school) I always HATED homework.  Homework over school vacations was TWICE as bad as regular homework.  Michael Graham was taking the very conservative line that our kids need to toughen up and get more homework.  Interestingly enough, Dr. James Dobson, the famous social conservative is NOT a big “homework” person.  No, he’s nor against ALL homework (nor am I) but I’ve heard him say that when his kids were teenagers. several times they had several special family long weekends ruined by homework assignments.  Dobson feels a lot of that kind of stuff is busywork, and that quality family time is more important. 

I’m kind of torn, because I really agree with Dobson and I really never cared for homework, BUT I also know that college is, well, at least 75% HOMEWORK.  If a kid is not prepared to do homework and to work independently, that kid will most likely flunk out of college.  At Stonehill College in the early 1970s, I was a History major.  Almost every semester, I took a “tutorial” course by Dr. Anne Carrigg.  Dr. Carrigg was very brilliant and VERY intellectual.  We usually read a book a week in her courses.  The books were mostly highbrow, and, well, just plain boring and TOUGH.  There were never more than 4 students at a time in her tutorial meetings in her office.  You met once a week with Dr. Carrigg and three other kids.  It was literally just like the McLaughlin Group on television.  She’d be babbling on about the Revolutionary War or something and then in John McLaughlin style she’d fire something at me like, “And Benedict Arnold had a surprise at Fort Ticonderoga DID’T he Bob?!”  If you couldn’t give a flawless answer, you were dead.  Honestly, 50% of the time, I was snowing her, yet in most of her classes, I got Bs.

Come to think of it, contrary to what some folks think, I DON’T just work one day a week.  Every sermon, every class, every Bible Study, even every prayer meeting takes a LOT of preparation. (Then there’s all the legal business of running a church that’s a pain but you’ve got to do it.)

So, maybe Michael Graham has a point.  Maybe kids do need more homework.  Michael, if the public school isn’t giving your kids enough, you can always give Marian High School a call...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think they need more homework. I think what parents and other teachers don't understand is that not only are kids getting assignment's like McGarry's in that one class, but they may have 6 other assignments like that from their other classes. While I do agree they should be preparing for college life, I think I had more homework in high school than I did in college! I spent more time STUDYING in college, but I did more HOMEWORK at Marian! I also think that teachers should be spending more time in the classroom teaching the work instead of "oh we can't get to that today, learn it tonight for homework."

Anonymous said...

sure if you're in an honors or AP course you should expect more homework... but speaking as a student, extra homework serves no purpose than giving us less time to get done everything else we need to do... I realize education is important, but trying to juggle sports or drama and family life and trying to "not grow up too fast and stay a kid as long as possible" ( as the adults tell us now adays) while loosing sleep and staying up past midnight to finish assignments is not healthy... have you weighed our backpacks? crazy!
Give us enough homework to reinforce what you're trying to teach, but don't assume our lives just revolve around your class. People who want us to give up recess and pile on more homework have lost compassion for their children.