Monday, August 25, 2008

OH WHAT A NIGHT!

“And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.” (I Corinthians 12:28)

We had a wonderful Sunday evening service at First Assembly of God of Framingham last night, and I want to share about that!  (Incidentally, at one time virtually all Assemblies of God churches had distinct Sunday morning and Sunday evening services.  In the mid-1990s, Sunday evening services began rapidly disappearing.  At our church, we hold a Sunday evening service once a month, and exactly which Sunday of the month that is varies from month to month.)
Last night, we actually had more people present for our EVENING service than we did for the morning service, and I was happy about that!

Sunday morning's service was "O.K."- I wouldn't classify it as particularly good or bad; it was a rather typical "O.K." service.  By contrast, THE EVENING SERVICE WAS NOT AT ALL TYPICAL.  THE EVENING SERVICE WAS VERY POWERFUL!  The whole service was very good, and the altar prayer time for the sick was one of the most powerful and anointed times I've ever experienced at our church.  I can only think of maybe three times EVER that were more powerful, and frankly at each of those we had special guest preachers.

I had advertised that at this service there would be "no sensationalism or foolishness".  Some will read this and think I lied...that I actually did behave in a sensational manner.  But I did not.  Rather, the Holy Spirit moved in a very powerful way.  If you’re unfamiliar with these experiences, this may sound bizarre, but several people were "slain in the spirit" or "fell down under the power of God" depending on what you want to call it.  In the case of one man, he swayed from side to side, then suddenly was slammed on his right side to the floor.  It was like something you'd see in a movie.  He was COMPLETELY UNHURT and had a blessed experience in God.  The only time I've ever seen anything like that is in a few Benny Hinn services.  My wife commented that the anointing of the Holy Spirit was particularly thick over three people who were prayed for, and I agreed that I felt and sensed a strong anointing of the Holy Spirit over those three.  The Lord definitely used me as a channel to flow through on Sunday night.  Listen, I get sick and have all kinds of shortcomings and maladies.  It blesses ME when God flows through this earthen vessel!

I THANK GOD THAT WE HAD SUCH A POWERFUL SERVICE ON SUNDAY NIGHT!

It  can get discouraging to pastor a very small church located in a disadvantaged neighborhood.  Over the years, I have experienced many heartaches and disappointments.  There’s a song that Gospel singer Alvin Slaughter recorded about ten years ago called, “That’s when He (God) Steps In”.  It’s exciting when “God steps in” and that’s what happened on Sunday night!  Honestly, I think God has some special days ahead for our little church.  Despite our "insignificance" in the natural, I think God does see our church as very significant!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was quite a service.  I was healed of asthma last night.  Praise God!  I can't wait to hear the testimonies of others who were prayed for.

I have never been "slain in the spirit" so I don't know how it feels but to witness it is something else.  I'm still processing how "that man" who was slammed to the floor suffered absolutely no ill effects from that experience.  For the readers of this blog.....that man was my husband. I can testify that he did not get hurt in any way.  My husband once threw his back out while laying on the sofa yet last night God picked him up and slam him to the floor and he got up laughing.  Just in case you might be thinking that he might be suffering the day after.  No, he's not.  There's no bruising.  There's no pain.  Must be a "God Thing".  Don't know how else to explain it.

Sonda