Sunday, October 5, 2008

TOTALLY THANKFUL

REMINDER:  AOL Journals/Blogs are being discontinued effective Oct. 31, 2008.  I plan to continue writing a blog using another service with (obviously) a new URL address.  I have not finalized any of the details of that at this point.  Any questions please e-mail to  revrbaril@aol.com

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (I Thessalonians 5:18)

Today was a special day for my wife Mary Ann.

Her actual  50th Birthday was Tuesday, September 30.  Today we had a party for her at Marian High School with her family and good friends.  (We also had a church pizza social for her a couple of weeks ago, so she's getting plenty of well deserved attention for her 50th!)

Wow, what outstanding food, and I think we all ate too much! 

It was something to see one of those computer generated "slide shows" of Mary Ann's life literally from infancy through today.   Of course, the photos from the '80s and '90s also included several of me, and I can hardly believe I ever looked that young.  From just "yesterday" were the photos of a couple in their early 30s with three little kids, and then from March 2008 there was Amy's wedding photo including a very "over 50" looking Bob Baril!  My father used to ask, "Where does the time go?" and now I'm asking the same question! 

Considering all my idiosyncrisies I'm amazed there's anybody who'd put up with being married to me, so I'd have to say I've been really blessed having Mary Ann for a wife all these years, and having three kids who are now fine young adults.

It was a joy to have this celebration today.  It was nice to see friends like Nancy A. who used to babysit our kids when they were little.  It was nice to have folks from Marian High celebrating at well.  I also very much appreciated all the help we had cleaning up - thank you to a number of people who helped with that!

Thank you  also to Diane P. who helped Mary Ann quickly finish her Treasury duties after church today so she could arrive early for her very special event; and thanks for taking care of that deposit bag!

Mary Ann had a bunch of purple helium balloons tied near the entrance of her party.  When all was over, our daughter Rachel launched them!  Yeah, I know it's not good for the environment (sorry!) but they sure looked cool....almost like a "U.F.O." when they got high enough!

So, in the midst of an often hectic and crazy life, today was a day to celebrate, reflect, and be thankful. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for inviting me!  just kidding. glad it was a good time

Anonymous said...

sorry amy... if it makes you feel better, you were in the slide show

we should launch balloons every mom's birthday