Thursday, March 15, 2012

HOW CAN ANYBODY LIKE RICK SANTORUM?

"Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." (Romans 13:1)

In the six years that I have written this blog, I have only written about politics a few times. I'm very much like my late mother, in that I am very interested in news and current events and very interested in politics. But I also know, politics can be very polarizing. In life, I've seen situations where just one brief phrase was stated about a politician which provoked a violent or hysterical outburst from another person. It seems to me, even as a guy who LIKES following politics, that it's just not worth provoking violent or hysterical outbursts. So, today maybe I am venturing into dangerous waters as I write about Rick Santorum.

I am a registered Republican who many years ago would have been categorized as very much "on the religious right". I'm still fairly conservative, but definitely more moderate and tolerant than I was fifteen or so years ago. This year, I voted for Ron Paul in the Massachusetts Republican primary. Donald Trump is correct in saying that "there's no way Ron Paul is going to be the Republican nominee", but I happen to like Ron Paul as a person. I don't agree with all of Ron Paul's positions. At least a couple of them could be considered extreme or "nutty". Ron Paul, however, has integrity and is authentic. He's a smart guy and a nice guy. It's ironic that the evangelical community pretty solidly has rallied around Rick Santorum because Ron Paul is the only evangelical Christian in the race (a Baptist) and he has had a 100% pro-life record for thirty years. (Rick Santorum is a Roman Catholic who is mostly NOT liked by Catholic voters! Unlike 90% of American Catholics, Santorum follows the Pope and traditional Roman Catholic doctrine and practice, including rejecting artificial birth control pretty much to the letter. It may surprise some of my readers that most evangelicals do NOT have any problems with people using contraceptives and DO have some serious problems with many Roman Catholic doctrines.)

Yesterday, Boston radio talk show host Doug Meehan on BostonTalks 96.9 asked WHY Santorum is doing so well. He invited callers to speculate on whether it's because voters LIKE Santorum and what he stands for, or if it's because they DON'T like Mitt Romeny. After fielding numerous calls, Meehan stated he believes it's mostly the latter.

My own take on it is that it's both, BUT that it's PARTICULARLY that they don't like Mitt Romney. ONE of Mitt's problems is that he's a Mormon. While I totally disagree with the Mormon religion, that's not an issue for me. I voted for Mitt Romney in 1994 when he ran for U.S. Senate against Ted Kennedy. That was the only race for Senate Ted was ever in that WAS competitive. At one point polls showed them deadlocked and suggested Mitt COULD win. Of course, Ted won, but not by much. I also voted for Mitt for Governor a few years later. I was not particularly thrilled with Mitt Romney as Governor. He argues that he did not raise taxes, but he raised FEES. FEES for ANYTHING to do with the state (like your driver's license renewal) went through the roof! Then there was "Romneycare". Listen, SOME aspects of Romneycare are good, but overall it's been BAD for Massachusetts. My son was one of many young adults who resented having to buy health insurance or be penalized on his state tax return and I can't blame him. Former State Treasurer Tim Cahill said Romenycare was a disaster for the state. Even worse, Mitt Rommey will say ANYTHING to get elected. He was totally pro-choice in 1994; probably more pro-choice than Ted Kennedy if that's possible! He cited his Mom's longtime support of Planned Parenthood and access to abortions. I'm surprised Mitt didn't cut an ad for N.O.W.!
Mitt also indicated he was more in favor of gay rights than Ted Kennedy, and listen, he WAS for mandated government health care.

What has happened? Now, Mitt is the "pro-life candidate" who totally opposed Obamacare?! Is he serious? And, he is TOTALLY out of touch with "real people". I admit I have SOME problems with Rick Santorum. Believe it or not he really said, "We have to stop handing out money to black people." That is a totally off the wall statement! And some of his social views are pretty conservative even for me. However, anyone who thinks Rick Santorum is really going to have Roe vs. Wade overturned (that's never going to happen) or outlaw gay marriage (that's not likely to happen) or make all contraception illegal (are you crazy?!) has nothing to worry about. Santorum is a sincere guy with convictions. I don't even agree with all of them, but I'd take him over Mitt Romney any day. I absolutely will not vote for Mitt Romney if he is the Republican nominee this fall...absolutely not. I would either blank it or vote third party. But I WOULD vote for Santorum with little reservation.

There's an ugly stereotype about people in the South and Midwest...that somehow they're all stupid rednecks. SOME of them are, but most of them are really good people. As Robert Duvall said in his commentary about his outstanding film "The Apostle", "People from the east and west coasts make all kinds of judgments about the hard working Bible-believing people of the 'flyover states'. In fact, these are mostly wonderful people and wonderful places to live. The elite people from the coasts have really never gotten to know them." I agree. Were if possible for me, right now, I would move to southwestern Missouri in a heartbeat. These are people who work hard, love their country, almost never swear, often do not have any sex until married, and value Godliness, and clean living. When I listen to callers from the Boston area who can't understand why the girl at Stonehill College (MY alma mater and a "Catholic" school) was upset that her roommate was regularly having sex with her boyfriend in the room with the girl THERE; numerous callers saying that was a REGULAR part of their college experience and no big deal; well, THAT makes me all the more ready to move to the Bible belt and vote for Rick Santorum.

True, Rick Santorum is kind of extreme to the right and Barak Obama is kind of extreme to the left. Listen, Obama is a nice guy and has done some good things as President. But who's version of America would I prefer: Obama's or Santorum's? It's a no brainer. AND, regarding Mitt, in a number of respects he is worse than Obama. If you get a chance, do an on-line search for MITT ROMNEY COMEDY THEME SONG which is on youtube. That youtube presentation by a couple of amateurs that I am very familiar with pretty much says it all!

1 comment:

Pete from Colo Spgs said...

Quite an interesting post, Bob. Having lived most of my life in the states that were once part of the Confederacy, I'm inclined to agree with the old adage that you can have no more loyal good-hearted a friend, or no more implacable an enemy than an American southerner.

BTW, I'm for Obama.