Tuesday, March 27, 2012

AN "EYE SPY"!

"Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;" (2 Peter 1:3)

I find it fascinating when in the midst of a seeming annoyance or inconvenience, something happens which triggers a very positive memory. That JUST happened. I'm on a short break from my job and I'm at the Framingham Public Library. It's COLD today in Massachusetts; last week's 80 degree weather is a distant memory! I came into the library, took off my heavy coat, laid down my bag, and suddenly realized I'd forgotten the library DVD I had to return. I'd left it in the car. I quickly rushed to the parking garage, and then felt very foolish because I'd forgotten that I did NOT park in the garage. It's completely full. I had to drive down Lincoln Street and find an "on street" parking space. I walked back to the car, coatless and cold, grabbed the DVD, and headed back to the library. At the front of the library, a woman driving a large white SUV rolled down her window and called to me, "EXCUSE ME!"

I thought, "Oh, no, where's she gonna ask me directions to?"
But that wasn't what she wanted.

"I can't find any space in the library garage, but I'm trying to return this book," she quickly explained, asking, "Will YOU return it for me?"

I said I would and grabbed the book from her. The book was the late David Brudnoy's autobiography, "Life is Not a Rehearsal". On the cover was a photo of David with his headphones on. David Brudnoy was not only an accomplished university professor, but he was the evening radio talk show host on WBZ Boston for about twenty years. The show was heard via "AM signal skip" in 38 states and 6 Canadian provinces.

I suddenly got a very pleasant mental picture. One of the highlights of my life and ministry is the night I was a two hour in-studio guest with David Brudnoy in February of 1989. I gave a presentation about the Assemblies of God and fielded phone calls. I was only scheduled for one hour but David said he was enjoying it so much that he invited me to stay for two. I absolutely presented the gospel that night, to David and his listeners.

I slightly teared up as I remembered that wonderful experience.

I also felt as though God was saying to me, "Don't put yourself down and feel like such a failure. I used you to do some wonderful things that you can rightfully remember and take satisfaction in!"

You know, that made my morning! A forgotten DVD, no parking spaces, cold, an interruption by a woman in an SUV. And what did that bring? An "eye spy"! An "eye spy" is what Christian inspirational author and speaker Karen Mains calls a moment when God just kind of steps in and shows Himself in a special way. You "SEE" it and it's very cool.

Thank you, God, for that "eye spy"!

1 comment:

MaryA said...

Go God!!! He caught you completely off guard with a strong affirmation of your worth in a way only He can. He confirmed to you that He is aware of you and your position and He finds you very valuable and irreplaceable.