Saturday, January 6, 2007

TO PRAISE OR ZING

“But as God is true, our word toward you was not yea and nay.”  (2 Corinthians 1:18)

I THINK the “Pat Whitley Restaurant Show” is still on the air.  I know it started in 1975.  People call in to give their reviews of restaurants; a good review is classified as a “Praise” and a bad one is classified as a “Zing”.  Whitley also has a weekly ad in the Boston Herald listing various “Praises and Zings” of New England restaurants.  Well, I’m borrowing his terms for today and in my very reflective “just fooling around” mood sitting at the computer, I’m going to give some of my LIFE Praises and Zings for the first week of January 2007:

ZING:  Deval Patrick’s urging the Massachusetts Legislature to ignore the state Constitution and this week’s opinion of the state Supreme Court in a feeble attempt to subvert democracy.  Thank God the legislators did not listen and we’re one step closer to the Gay marriage issue being on the November 2008 ballot.  WHEREVER you stand on the issue of homosexual marriage, you should support the rule of law and the people’s right to vote on the issue.

ZING:  Former President Ford’s funeral that lasted forever.  Yes, Ford was a good guy, but closing the post office on Tuesday and endlessly praising Ford’s pardoning of Nixon on radio and television was definitely OVERKILL.

PRAISE:  Wal-Mart.  I know Wal-Mart is the store people love to hate, but I find consistently that you can find just about ANYTHING at Wal-Mart.  I was on the market this week for a VERY PARTICULAR type of padlock.  I called a store which specializes in locks, as well as several hardware stores.  None had what I wanted.  My wife recommended I go to Wal-Mart.  I found exactly what I needed and purchased it.

PRAISE:  Our ‘93 Oldsmobile has been repaired (again).  This time it was a MASSIVE power steering fluid leak.  Believe me, I hope I never deal with a power steering fluid leak again!  Like a Biblical plague, there is power steering fluid all over my driveway, all over the street in front of our home, and covering several parking spaces at the church.  It’s been that way for weeks.  When it was warmer, I tried hosing my driveway down, etc.  The stuff just does not go away AT ALL!  (In fact, if you know a good product to break down and get rid of power steering fluid stains, let me know!)  Anyway, the car got fixed at good old Absolute Car Care at Clark and Grant Streets in Framingham.  The price was quite reasonable.

ZING:  Cold.  No not weather, MY cold.  I’ve had a cold for over a week.  In the beginning it was all intense head congestion and headaches.  Now it is post nasal drip and coughing.  It’s miserable.  I want it gone!

PRAISE:  Melaleuca products.  They’d probably kill me for saying this because there are all kind of hard and fast rules for those enrolled in Melaleuca about how you’re supposed to present the products and the sales program, etc.  I know they wouldn’t be crazy about me just talking about the products on the blog.  Anybody I ever tried to enroll in Melaleuca just thought I was a sap and that anyone who buys these products is a sap. NOT TRUE!  The toothpaste is the BEST, as is the bar soap.  The Melaleuca oil is absolutely superior for skin irritations.  I’m thinking about Melaleuca because I just unpacked our family’s latest order a short time ago.  (Although I’m posting this on Saturday I’m actually WRITING it on Thursday.)  If you ever have a chance to enroll in Melaleuca, regardless of WHO “presents” Melaleuca to you, do it!

ZING: Mike Barnicle slamming evangelicals on the radio AGAIN this week.  I wonder what FMTalk 96.9 would say if I asked for equal time.  “The fairness doctrine” no longer exists in American broadcasting, and has not for a long time, so I think they just wouldn’t care.

PRAISE:  Marjorie Clapprood.  Speaking of Pat Whitley (above), ten years ago, “Clapprood and Whitley” was a regular morning radio talk show in Boston.  Marjorie Clapprood is an ultra-liberal Democrat with kind of a foul mouth.  One thing we each have in common:  we each hold Bachelor’s Degrees from Stonehill College. WHY would I PRAISE Marjorie Clapprood?  For one thing, she did some radio fill-in work in late December and she was actually very good.  For another, a number of years ago, I wrote her a letter about something.  She sent me back a really nice, personal note.  She may be ultra-liberal but I really respected that!

PRAISE:  The blessing of pretty good health (except for the cold, of course). But the cold will be gone soon. This week,  I heard of a 40-year-old man who has a brain tumor.  He’s a great guy, and this news made me sad, but it also made me realize I have much to be thankful for.   I am thankful for the power of prayer and I will certainly be praying for this man.

ZING:  All the hassle of getting ready for our church’s special event and service happening this Sunday night.

PRAISE:  I’m actually very happy for what’s happening on Sunday night.  My 20th anniversary at the church is being observed.  I truly pray THE LORD will be honored and glorified at the service and that each one who attends will truly be ministered to.

PRAISE:  The computer equipment I’m using now and the fact that I know how to type.

ZING:  The “bondage” that computers and modern technology can be.

PRAISE: The interactive technology that is the internet.

ZING:  The fact that I don’t get a “real lot” of feedback about my blog.

PRAISE:  The fact that you’re reading this and you’re (I hope) not mad at me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for melaleuca making my teeth amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog......number 2 fan after asbball512

Anonymous said...

What is this Melaleuca?  I have never heard of it until now.  Where can you get it? And is there a good shampoo included?  And other hair products?  I'd be willing to try some, if it's not too expensive.
Jennie

Anonymous said...

Jennie, (and anyone else)

Melaleuca has a website.  I don't have a catalog nearby but I THINK it's www.melaleuca.com

If you do a search for Melaleuca, you can find some info.

I was enrolled as a "marketing executive" in Melaleuca by Bev and Jim Spence in 1995.  Melaleuca Oil  is a medicinal/cosmetic oil made from a tree in Australia.  It's marketed in WEAK strengths by generic companies and called "Tea Tree Oil".  The Melaleuca Oil offers the best concentration of the oil.  Most (not all) of the Melaleuca products contain Melaleuca Oil.  I use the Oil straight for skin irritations, etc.  You CAN'T buy Melaleuca products in the store.  Pretty much the only way to buy them is to become an "independent marketing executive".  I've presented it to several people who have all said no, but I continue to buy and use the products.  Incidentally, you have to buy a minimal order of around $65 worth of products each month to be enrolled.  The company very much frowns upon the products being presented in any ways except for in person home presentaions.  Thus they would likely not care for me sharing in this way.  A woman at our church is also in Melaleuca but I did not enroll her.