Wednesday, January 30, 2008

THE BEST KEPT SECRET(s) IN MetroWest

“...See thou say nothing to any man...” (Mark 1:44)

Scores and scores of cars drive past Framingham’s Marian (Catholic) High School every day, and yet Marian High School has been called “the best kept secret in MetroWest”.  Built in the late 1950s, the school’s building is admittedly “dated” and the parking lot and campus are small by 2008 standards.  My understanding is that in the mid-1960s, the school’s student body numbered more than 400; today it’s well under 300.  When I moved to Framingham over twenty years ago, I’d see the kids getting out of school wearing their plaid out-of-style uniforms, and I remember thinking, “Boy, THAT would be the day my kids ever went to THAT school!”

Ironically, some years later, we sent all three of our kids to Marian.   The school HAS changed.  Today’s uniforms are mostly blue (rather than green) and tend to be casual, contemporary, and “cool”.  As of 2001, the school is completely independent of the Archdiocese of Boston.  Technically, it’s now a “private school”.  Probably around 20% of the student body is “non-Catholic” and the faculty and staff are a diverse group which includes Protestants and even Jews.  The school still publicizes itself as a “Catholic” school, but it’s definitely not your “pre-Vatican 2” Catholic high school!  Marian’s athletes excel on the playing field, and Marian’s music and drama programs are outstanding.

Yesterday morning, I was one of six clergy who took part in a special assembly (which in a very real sense was a “service”) as part of “Catholic Schools week”.  Most of the clergy, including me, were from another one of Framingham’s best kept secrets, the “Framingham Interfaith Clergy Association”.  The clergy included Pastor Dan Sierra of the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, Cantor Jodi Schectmann of Temple Beth Am, The Rev. Dr. J. Anthony Lloyd of Greater Framingham Community Church, Deacon Guy Spiri of St. Stephen’s Church, The Rev. Mindi Welton-Mitchell of First Baptist Church, and me.  Each of the others shared something about their church and some interesting thoughts on spirituality.  I was particularly blessed by Cantor Jodi’s prayer (in song) for healing in both Hebrew and English.  My wife is Marian High’s administrative assistant (and she’s a very busy woman!).  She was surprised that I DIDN’T speak about the church I pastor, but rather, about the Framingham Interfaith Clergy Association.  I explained that Mr. Colm McGarry who was coordinating the assembly specifically asked me to talk about F.I.C.A. as an introduction to the clergy who would follow.  I said that some people are surprised by my involvement in F.I.C.A. (Many evangelicals shy away from interfaith groups.)  I explained that while I have strong theological convictions, each faith group is endeavoring to promote goodness, righteousness, justice, and truth.  There are times that we can all come together and work for the good of the community in ways that we can’t generally do on our own.  We’re not just a “religious” or “do-gooder” organization.  We’ve touched many lives by out annual Thanksgiving services, by a special 9/11 Memorial Service, by prayer vigils, and by tangible things we’ve done in the community.

So, two of Framingham’s best kept secrets found out about each other yesterday morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay for marian high! i'm proud to be "an alum" (or however she would spell it)