Tuesday, January 15, 2008

THE DAY OF THE SNOWSTORM

“Let all things be done decently and in order.”  (I Corinthians 14:40)

Sometimes I joke with people and tell them that I have O.C.D. :  “Obsessive Compulsive Disorder”.  Well, no, I don’t LITERALLY have it.  I have to make that clarification because sometimes when I’ve joked about “having it” people have thought that I literally DO have it!

I will say I’m one of those people who REALLY likes things to be orderly.  If you’ve ever seen “The Odd Couple” I’m kind of a “Felix Unger” and my wife is kind of an “Oscar Madison” so things can get “interesting” at home!

I’ve been called a “control freak”.  As much as I bristle at that designation, I have to admit, it’s at least somewhat true!.  Order; stability; “closure”; “things making sense”; checklists with all the “to do” stuff checked off... well to rewrite the old Julie Andrews song “My Favorite Things”, these are a few of MY favorite things.

This week, ...well actually it’s this month. ...well ACTUALLY it’s this YEAR...so far has been NOTHING like I’d prefer it to be!  Predictable?  Nope!  Easy?  Nope!  “Sensible?”  Nope!  Orderly?  Nope!   For a compulsive planner, it’s been kind of challenging so far!  Due to certain technical difficulties with my iMac computer, I won’t be posting this for awhile after I’m actually writing it, but I’m ACTUALLY writing this at 1:30 p.m. on Monday.  My kids and I have shoveled out, but so far I’ve been home all day.  My daughter took a drive by the church and informed me the lot is not yet plowed, so there’s no point in going over there, and I know the library is closed.  I’ve got a million things to do and I’m home just about climbing the walls!  On Tuesday morning, my ‘89 (low mileage) Volkswagen goes into the shop for several days of major work.  It will be hard to give the car up for several days.  Our ‘93 Olds now also has major problems and my wife and I have just decided to NOT fix it but to look for another vehicle.  This Olds is the car our 21-year-old mainly drives and today she’s “not a happy camper”.  (Thank God we DO still have our 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan, which so far is doing O.K.)

I know I need to remember I’m reasonably healthy, I’m not doing without food and I’ve got a roof over my head.  But when you have this “gotta have everything in order” thing going on inside of you which,can’t be satisfied, well, since I don’t swear, I’ll say it “STINKS”....

Yup, there’s a whole “to do” list that’s just laying inside my briefcase and not getting done!  There’s other stuff also that’s not getting done, but writing about it would bore most of you to tears.  Do you supposed God is just forcing me into a mandatory “time out” or something?  Maybe. 

Now if I were Hillary Clinton, I’d walk over to Dunkin Donuts and sit in there drinking a coffee and crying that I’ve just got so much to do and I just can’t seem to get it done.  Well, with her that sort of behavior managed to defeat Barak Obama!  What would it accomplish for me?  Well, (and I’ve got to admit, this really brought a playful smile to my face) - it would accomplish ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm still ticked about not having a car   >:-P

but even though you've never been diagnosed... yeah, i think you really do have OCD...