Tuesday, January 8, 2008

THE N.H. PRIMARY

“The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the Lord.” (Proverbs 16:33)

Today is the New Hampshire Primary.  Frankly, it’s much too early this year, and the Iowa Caucases were too early, as well.  Back in the 1960s and 1970s, the New Hampshire primary took place around the first week of February.  In 2004, it happened in late January.  It used to be that the Primary process was not over until June.  Do you remember, for instance, that Robert F. Kennedy was shot at the time of the 1968 California Presidential Primary in early June?  Today it’s said that the whole process will probably be over before the end of February!

I was delighted that Barak Obama won the Iowa Democrat caucases.  Well, to be specific, I was REALLY delighted that Hillary Clinton did NOT win!  I do believe there are scores and scores of reasons why it would be a very bad thing to get the Clintons back into the White House.  Both Obama and Edwards on the Democrat side are far too liberal for my tastes, BUT I think either of those guys would make a far better president than would Hilliary Clinton.  All that said, Barak Obama is going to win the New Hampshire Primary.  Good for him!

On the Republican side, John McCain is going to win, and I say, “Good for him!”  I’m tired of Michael Graham and Jay Severin saying John McCain is not a real Republican.  I know Republicans are constantly quoting Ronald Reagan and constantly trying to say they are the “Ronald Reagan of 2008”.  WHO would Ronald Reagan be voting for if he were alive and healthy this year?  I’m not sure, but I’ll tell you this:  Ronald Reagan would NEVER have tolerated John McCain being insulted and disparaged by Michael Graham or Jay Severin or anybody else.  I can see Reagan with that “I’m paying for this microphone!” attitude of his saying somehing like, “THIS man is a hero, now SHOW HIM THE RESPECT HE DESERVES!!” 

Severin and Graham are very upset that McCain attracts many independents and  Democrats.  Let me get this straight?  That’s  a BAD thing?  The fact is, if John McCain is the Republican nominee, he will win in November and probably carry at least 41 states. McCain even has the potential to carry Massachusetts, as Ronald Reagan did in 1980 and 1984.  In fact, at least HALF of Reagan’s polularity and support was from independents and from conservative and moderate Democrats (such as my late parents).  In 1980, Reagan was probably more popular with Democrats and independents than he was with Republicans.  For most of 1980, the guy the Republican party establishment desperately wanted for President was George Herbert Walker Bush.  I think they’d have settled for Senator Howard Baker who was also running that year.  In the end, Reagan drew big support from independents and Democrats and you all know what happened, although the miffed Republican establishment made sure Bush was on the ticket as V.P.

You can’t tell I’m a political junkie, can ‘ya?  Naw.....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bob, I'm very glad that John Mcain won.  We are living in dangerous times and I want to see a seasoned veteran at the helm.  As for Barack Obama, he scares me.  His connection to Rev. Jeremiah Wight, who is an Afro-centrist militant minister and Obama's mentor sends off a lot of alarms.  

Jennie