Friday, July 18, 2008

SOMEBODY OUGHT TO TESTIFY!

“And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.” (Revelation 12:11)

I LOVE old-fashioned (dare I say it) “Black” Gospel songs.  I’m nervous because I don’t want to sound like a racist, and I’m NOT a racist.  But, one time after a special community service which had featured a dynamic Black Gospel choir, I commented to my clergy colleague The Rev. Ellen Tatreau (a white, American Baptist) “I love a good Black Gospel choir!” She immediately (with political correctness) turned to me and said, “No, you love a GOSPEL choir!”  Well; I love a Black Gospel choir!  It’s the experience of slavery, racism, “Jim Crow”, etc. that gives the music it’s “soul” and very few, if any, whites can really grab hold of that.  

I LOVE the Black Gospel song that radio talk show host Jimmy Myers uses to open his program every Sunday afternoon on 96.9 WTKK.  It’s called “Somebody Ought to Testify”.  It’s fast, and “cool” and soulful, and I could listen to it all day.  Sorry, Jimmy Myers, but I’m going to steal it and make it MY theme song for THIS posting!

What a GREAT day I had on this past Thursday!  

A few weeks ago, I was asked to host a meeting of mostly Protestant Massachusetts Prison Chaplains.  All I had to do was provide the meeting place, which was our church facility.  Since our church building is small and not handicapped accessible (ssshhhhh, don’t remind the Town about that!) I don’t get to host many special events, so this was an honor.  I was actually even a little bit nervous about it.

When I was asked to host the meeting,  I was also asked to share a 15-20 minute devotional (short sermon)  from the Bible.

Until Wednesday,  I did not know what I was going to share, but yesterday I
felt strongly impressed from the Lord to share a "Readers' Digest  condensed version" of
last Sunday's Isaiah 6 sermon.   I don’t have the space here on the blog to write all there is to write about last Sunday’s sermon.  I have pastored First Assembly of God of Framingham for twenty-one years.  This was the finest and most powerful and most anointed sermon I’ve preached in twenty-one years; no thanks to me, but thanks to GOD!

I had not told anyone at the chaplain’s meeting what I was speaking about.  When the "leader" Mark Henenway opened the meeting he quoted from Isaiah 6 about the Seraphim saying "Holy, Holy, Holy".  I was so moved I literally almost started crying.  When I shared the devotional there was a heavy anointing on it, just like Sunday. The chaplains were all moved by the devotional.  One said, "This is the best kept secret in Massachusetts! (meaning our church)  If I lived nearer, I'd come to church here and I'd encourage others to come!"  Another said it was very anointed and that "God is about to do a great work here".   Another requested I be called forward and special prayer be prayed over me.   It was very powerful.  One prophecy was given about the church and two prophetic words were given to me, personally.

As far as next Sunday's sermons and a bunch of other stuff I had to do and still have to do, I got absolutely nothing done on Thursday morning, but I know I was supposed to be in this
chaplains’ meeting and I just have to trust God I'm going to get all that stuff done before Sunday morning.

I don’t know how many of you can appreciate what I’ve written here.
Some may think I’m crazy.
Some may think it’s no big deal.
It is.

And, I JUST HAD TO TESTIFY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!