Thursday, September 4, 2008

"UNCLE GILLY"

“Ye are the salt of the earth:...” (from Matthew 5:13)

This is a sad week for my wife, Mary Ann.  Her favorite uncle, “Uncle Gilly”, passed away yesterday at the age of 81.

Uncle Gilly’s real name was Bruno Borghi but was always known as “Gilly”.  Uncle Gilly was related to Mary Ann by marriage- he was married to her mother’s sister, Barbara.

It’s our understanding that it was his request that there be no funeral or memorial service and that his body be cremated.  In a way that does not surprise me.  Uncle Gilly would not have wanted any “big deal” made of his passing, and I think the last thing he’d have wanted is some overdone Catholic funeral.  Sadly, however, funerals are for those left behind.  For some people, wakes and funerals are an important part of grieving and (to use an overused cliche) of “closure”.  As busy as she is this week with school opening, and she’s incredibly busy, I really think Mary Ann needed a funeral to attend to process the loss of Uncle Gilly.  I must admit, as busy as I am, too, I’d certainly have attended his funeral.

Uncle Gilly lived with Aunt Barbara in the Sagamore section of Bourne on Cape Cod.  They lived in a small ranch style house about “a stone’s throw” from the Sagamore Bridge.  I first met Uncle Gilly in early 1982.  He reminded me a LOT of actor Ernest Bordenine (I’m not sure if I spelled Bordenine correctly, but you know who I mean.... “Commander McHale” from the old McHale’s Navy sitcom.)
As Mary Ann put it, he was like Ernest Bordenine in that he was gruff but he was also happy. I believe Gilly worked many years for the Town of Bourne Public Works Dept.  I did not know that the day I met Gilly was a TEST.  Gilly was absolutely NOT a phony.  He told you exactly what he thought, and if you didn’t like it, well that was tough.  She wanted Gilly to meet me and then give her his honest opinion of me.  I passed.  Had I failed, I’m sure I would not be married to Mary Ann today!

I know that Uncle Gilly had a number of health issues and some hospitalizations over the past twenty years.  I do recall him telling the story that one time he was in the hospital and was awakened by a Catholic priest jamming a communion host (a round, flat, hard like card-stock, piece of unleavened bread) into his mouth.  

“What the h____ are you doing?!” he yelled to the priest!  I guess that was that, and it may help to explain why he would not have been too excited about a fancy Catholic funeral.

Gilly didn’t go to a LOT of social events but he came to our wedding and it meant the world to Mary Ann.

Just a few days ago, Mary Ann received word that Uncle Gilly was very ill and near death, and yesterday morning, Mary Ann’s mother called to say he had died.
Yes, it’s a sad week for Mary Ann.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the Uncle Gilly doed. I had heard from Grandma a week or so ago when she was visiting them that he wasn't doing well.