Thursday, January 22, 2009

MONDAY'S MYSTERY

“Behold, I shew you a mystery...” (from I Corinthians 15:51)
[that’s 1600s English, better written as, “Behold, I SHOW you a mystery...”]

It's amazing what you'll find yourself thinking about early in the morning!

When I woke up (early) on Tuesday, the first thing that came to my mind was a funeral I’d conducted exactly 8 years earlier, the day George W. Bush began his presidency. THAT was the funeral of a middle-aged woman named I will call "Kimberley". She was the older sister of a good friend of mine, and she'd had major substance abuse problems. Since that time, my friend has also had some drug problems. My understanding is that he’s off drugs now, but I don't hear a lot from him. I sent him a short e-mail on Tuesday to try to reconnect with him.

The "MYSTERY" part of this posting is the next thing that my mind was drawn to early Tuesday morning. Our church's photocopier lease is expiring in a few weeks and our copier sales rep., like all salesmen, is anxious for us to sign a new lease for a new copier. I dropped by the church facility on Monday afternoon to shovel the steps and walkways. (There are steps leading to every door - no the building is not handicapped accessible.) It stopped snowing on Monday before 6 a.m. There were NO footprints on any of the stairways when I arrived at the building. Just BEFORE I shoveled, I went into the building to check the phone answering machine, and I noticed a manilla folder had been dropped through the front door mail slot. It contained figures and legal stuff about leasing a new copier and was from our sales rep. He is NOT located near Framingham, but he'd obvioiusly dropped that by for me to look at.

On Monday night, I received an e-mail from the copier sales rep. saying he'd stopped by the church during the day on Monday and dropped that info. through the mail slot.

Tuesday morning, it HIT me: The stairs (at least 7 up to the landing where the mail slot is) had NOT been walked on! There were no footprints in the snow at all.

HOW did he get that stuff into the mail slot without making any footprints?

They say Barack Obama walks on water. Does that copier salesman “walk” through the air?!

1 comment:

Amy said...

that's kind of creepy