Friday, September 18, 2009

A JOURNEY TO BOSTON

“Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses;
nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.” (Matthew 10:9-10)

“A Journey to Boston” is actually the title of a novel from the early 1960s about a couple of farmers who take the Massachusetts Turnpike from Westfield to Boston to sell their produce and are killed in a tragic accident on the way. I couldn’t resist stealing the title for this piece!

For the past several years, I’ve had a tradition that on my birthday (September 19) OR on the day before or after my birthday, I take the day off and take the train into Boston to just “chill”. I did that this morning, and boy am I glad that I did!
In the past few years, I’ve always had a nice day for my trip, and I’ve always spent part of my time walking around the Boston Common and Boston Public Garden.

This year, although I’d scheduled September 18 as a day off weeks ago, I ALMOST opted out of my annual birthday journey. I reasoned that I had a lot to do to get ready for my Saturday morning collectibles sale, and that I was behind on other responsibilities, as well. Earlier in the week, the forecast was calling for “rain” or “showers” for Friday. On Thursday, I made myself go into Garbarino’s on Route 135 and buy the train tickets. I was picturing that it would probably be pouring rain on Friday, but I figured I’d hang around Copley Place and the Prudential Center and still have a good time. What a delight that today turned out to be so beautiful! Most years the day I do my “birthday trip” is the day they’re pulling the swan boats out of the man-made pond at the Public Garden and putting them in storage for the winter. Last year, to my surprise, the swan boats were still in the pond and rides were still being given on September 19. Today, the boats were still in the pond, but all tied up together and the boat ride business was over for the season. One amateur photographer was snapping a bunch of photos of the swan boats. Another guy was painting a beautiful oil painting of the Public Garden and pond.

I had a wonderful time of prayer in there today. I have to be careful because it looks like you’re talking to yourself and you’re some kind of a nut! Well, since the popularity of Bluetooth and other technologies, people walking around or sitting around talking don’t look QUITE as weird as they used to! I also spend some great time reading and thinking about some Scripture passages. As part of my journey, I spent some time in the Boston Public Library which is a great and peaceful place. (Did you know they have a beautiful courtyard surrounded by their buildings?)

I took an earlier train home than I’d usually have because I DO have a lot to do in order to get ready for my collectibles sale. But today in Boston was a wonderful birthday present from the Lord to me!

1 comment:

Amy said...

I'm so glad you had a great Boston Birthday trip! Wish I could be there!