Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MY VISIT TO THE NATICK RMV

“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of
God: the powers that be are ordained of God.” (Romans 13:1)

My sermon on Sunday morning was on Romans chapter 13 and the title was, “Some Inconvenient Truths”. The chapter is mainly about our responsibility to obey the civil authorities “ (i.e. “the government:”) unless they tell you to do something which is absolutely contrary to the Bible (such as Nazi Germany). The chapter tells us to obey the law and pay our taxes. These are definitely “some inconvenient truths”! I’ve been very critical of the closing of the Framingham branch of the Registry of Motor Vehicles, so I had to apply Romans chapter 13 to my own life as I renewed the registration on our Dodge Caravan at the new (partial service) Natick express RMV branch located at the Natick service plaza on the MassPike eastbound.

I tried to get into the Natick service plaza from their back entrance on Route 27.
Although the information. in the newspapers has said you can access the Natick service area off of Rte. 27 (you USED to be able to) that road is now CLOSED to the public! I then had to go back to Speen St. and get on the MASS PIKE at Exit 13.

When I arrived at the RMV I took one of the little "tickets" which stated the
estimated waiting time would be 5 minutes. The actual wait was 25 minutes.
There were a number in there for license renewals including a guy probably
in his late 60s who could not pass the eye test. While waiting I spoke to a middle-aged woman from Framingham who was also waiting. She had also tried to get into the service plaza from Rte. 27 and had been unable to do so. She had asked a Natick police officer for directions tothe RMV and the cop directed her to downtown Framingham! She was also unhappy we'd have to drive to 128 and then backtrack to Framingham...way out of our way just to do this.

Well, I finally got called and paid and got out of there. The NEW registration certificates are MUCH larger than the MA registration certificates used to be. They're now an 8 1/2 by 11 piece of paper, which is less convenient to deal with.
Including waiting and driving time, this whole procedure took 70 minutes.

I wish we still had the Framingham RMV downtown! Incidentially, if you call the Massachusetts RMV’s toll free telephone number it still lists downtown Framingham as a valid branch which is open for business!

Yes, I obeyed Romans chapter 13 on Monday!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I feel your pain." One of the major justifications of the Natick RMV location was that the Access Road let you avoid the tolls. Now to find that it is closed to the public! How hypocritical can they get?

Regarding "Romans 13:"

http://www.cyberbright.com/hankmcintyre/Romans_13.html

Senior citizen said...

April 2010, Framingham listed with hours of operation posted...went there...it is no longer functioning.
I a moving this summer and trying to find a location to renew license for the interim months (cannot complete via computer). What a giant waste of time and I haven't hit the road yet.

Anonymous said...

Dear Bob,

I found this detailed sharing very good, as to what to expect and where not to go to. Thank you!

Self reflection point: if any complaints/resistance still remain, would that be said to be a pass mark in regards to Romans 13?