Tuesday, July 31, 2007

TO FORWARD OR NOT TO FORWARD?

“I had many things to write, bur I will not with ink and pen write unto thee:”  (III John 13)

To forward or not to forward?  That is the question.

I probably receive at least 25 forwarded e-mails a week.  Ironically, around 4 people send me the overwhelming majority of these e-mails.  I end up forwarding on around 10% of them and deleting 90% of them.  Sometimes I feel guilty about e-mails that I don’t forward on- especially if an e-mail has come from someone that I really think a lot of and it says something like, “If you really care about me you’ll forward this on to ten people,” or “show that you really care about the love of Jesus by sending this on to everyone in your address book,” -stuff like that.  On the other hand, sometimes I feel guilty about e-mails I DO forward on.  Some will have tag lines that say something like, “Send this back to me, and then send it on to at least five of your friends.”  I may send it on to twenty people and then I may get one back.  It makes me think, boy, did the other nineteen think I was  a real jerk for sending it?

This week, I received a forwarded e-mail from a young Assemblies of God minister entitled , “Virus Warning”.  I read it and it sounded pretty serious.  I had no idea if this potential virus was  “for real” or just an urban legend, but I thought that even if there was a 10% chance that it was true, I’d send it along, so I did send it on to quite a few people.  Sometimes I like to change the Subject line so it doesn’t say something like, “Fwd: Fwd: FW:  Virus Warning”.  I changed the Subject  before I sent the e-mail along, and after I sent it I realized I spelled “Virus” wrong!! I felt like a fool.  I then re-sent it with “Virus” spelled correctly.
I wonder, do the 20 or so of my friends appreciate that I sent this to them, or do they think I’m an annoying jerk?

What do you think?

Do you forward stuff along?  Do you think it just clutters up the internet?  Do you think  people who send all kinds of forwards are good friends or real pains?

Post a comment here, or e-mail me at revrbaril@aol.com



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I forwarded the virus info on and got info back that it was very old news.  If you have virus protection on your computer don't worry about scare tactics.  Waste of time and energy.

Anonymous said...

Are they friends or pains ? A little of both ... Sometimes, I will take the time to forward the e-mail ... Other times, I just discard them ... Do I get carried away with my e-mails ... absolutely not, there are so much more important things in life than e-mails ... And your friends will continue to be your friends whether or not, you forward their e-mails or not ... However, there are some people will find any excuse not to be or continue to be your friend ...

Anonymous said...

i like the forwards that you send, they don't tend to be the annoying stupid ones. i tend not to send them back to people, just because i don't like them getting sent back to me. then i end up with tons of them.