Monday, July 16, 2007

WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE SUCH JERKS?

"And he put forth a parable to those which were bidden, when he marked how
they chose out the chief rooms;" (from Luke 14:7)

We were able to have the yard sale in Canton on Saturday. The weather was
perfect. Overall it was a good day. We did not sell quite as much as we would
have liked to, BUT we DID sell quite a bit.

Although my giant bin full of antique Jeep parts did not draw any customers,
my license plates and automotive collectibles table did VERY well. I had put
out a mailing to my mailing list of "car nuts" to attractive them to the sale,
and for the second year in a row, the mailing worked well. I DID specify on
the mailing that I did not want any "early arrivals" before 8 a.m. and that
there would be no sales before 8 a.m.

At 7 a.m., as my sister and I were working hard and setting up, a guy around
58 years old pulled up. He claimed to be just coming home for work and said
he very much wanted to "at least LOOK at the stuff". I reluctantly let him
look. He immediately went to the most expensive and desirable stuff I had at the
auto collectibles table. "I want to buy ALL this stuff!" he said excitedly.
I told him he would have to wait until 8 a.m. He whined about it, and whined
about it. He tried and tried to get me to break my policy.

"Look," I told him, "I gave my word that I won't start until 8 and I won't
start until 8." He disgustedly drove off. By 7:55, there were 3 or 4 guys
"chafing at the bit" as it were to buy auto collectibles. I actually let the sale
begin at 7:58. At 7:59, the very first (pushy) guy came charging in. He was
practically GRABBING stuff out of other guys hands.

"I WANT THIS STUFF, I WAS HERE FIRST!" he yelled.
"No I was here first," another angrily replied.
"Well, technically he was here first at 7 a.m." I said, "but I think there
should be plenty of stuff for everybody."

There was then a lot of pushing about who's stuff would be added up first and
who could pay first, etc. The first guy (that I'm labeling a "jerk") did get
about 75% of the best items. Yes, he paid for them, but at the end of the
day, I had a sad feeling. I almost felt guilty about selling some of the stuff.

Money is tight for me, and often things are financially difficult. A sale
like this can mean that instead of going around looking for quarters, I can
actually do some eating out in restaurants and filling my cars up with gas and
just not have to worry about that kind of stuff. I WAS happy for the money I'd
made, but I realized, it wasn't that I was sad about selling the stuff...I was
sad that the 7 a.m. "jerk" had bought so much of the best stuff. A part of me
really DIDN'T want him to have it.

He couldn't follow the rules. He was pushy and selfish. Yes, he got some
valuable auto collectibles. He may well go on-line and sell the stuff for two
or even three times what he paid for it. But he has to live with himself and
he has to look at himself in the mirror. I would never want to be like that
guy.

I'm just venting, but WHY ARE SOME PEOPLE SUCH JERKS?




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The world is full of jerks.  Just be glad you don't have to live with him.  Happy you had a good day.

Anonymous said...

I agree the world is full of Jerks ... It doesn't matter where you go ... It could be the guy was not on your mailing, so didn't know the start time for the yard sale ...
Also, I believe you're dealing with some seller's remorse ... because the items were priced too low ... I know when I go to a Yard sale, I offer a lower price and have never offered a higher price for an item ... It's then up to the seller, to accept or reject the price being offered.