Wednesday, July 25, 2007

THE DIET SODA THING

"... and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."  (from Galatians 5:1)

The story is on the front page of the (Framingham, MA) MetroWest Daily News for Tuesday, July 24, 2007:       "STUDY:  DIET SODA ALSO A RISK TO HEART".  Many of you probably read that story in the  MWDN or in some other newspapers.  The story was also prominently featured on the late night T.V. news on Monday night.

The thing that's STUNNED people (including objective scientists) is that diet soda which has ZERO calories is at least as harmful (causes at least as much weight gain, etc.) as sugared soda.

I was NOT surprised by the story. In fact, it confirmed something I'd received from the Internet.

About two months ago, my father-in-law forwarded a lengthy e-mail to me warning of the dangers of diet soda.  The problem is the ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER in the diet soda.  When I received my father-in-law's forwarded e-mail I was FASCINATED because just a few days before that I'd seen the profile of a 600 pound woman on one of those syndicated daytime T.V. shows.  The woman lives on practically nothing but diet soda.  The more diet soda she drinks, the fatter she gets.  My father-in-law's forwarded e-mail explained that the artificial sweetener contains MUCH harmful stuff.  One of the characteristics of this artificial sweetener is that it AFFECTS AND CHANGES your fat cell molecules so that they actually absorb and hold more fat!  Thus, you really WILL get fatter on diet soda than on regular soda.  Diet soda had been linked to numerous other health problems.  "Regular soda" is not good for you, but diet soda is MUCH worse!

I'm a HUGE soda drinker.  Up until two months ago, probably about one-third of the soda I drank was diet soda.  I have not had a diet soda in 8 weeks and I feel much better.  My wife was a much bigger diet soda drinker than I was and she's cut out all diet soda.

This week's news story only confirms my father-in-law's forwarded e-mail.

Word to the wise:  stop drinking diet soda- TOTALLY! 


No comments: