Friday, October 26, 2007

DON'T THEY LEARN THIS STUFF IN SCHOOL?

"And there are three that bear witness in earth..." (from I John 5:8)

Yesterday, I went to D.D. on Waverley Street/Route 135 in Framingham.  I was there to get 2 medium hot teas (one for my wife and one for a friend of ours) and 1 iced coffee for me.  I know that often when you quickly order several things at once the staff CAN get confused and mess something up.  To make matters easy for them, I took a 5 by 7 piece of paper and wrote the following:

2 Medium English Breakfast Teas:
     1 black - extra sugar
     1 milk - extra sugar
____________________________________

1 Medium Iced Coffee- cream & 2 sugars.

I went into D.D. and handed the male Brazilian clerk that piece of paper.

His female American clerk brought me 4 medium hot drinks and began to ring up the order.
"Wait a minute," I said, "I have an ICED coffee."
"It's coming!" she told me.
"And,"  I added, "There are too many drinks.  There should only be 3 drinks TOTAL."

Both the American female and the Brazilian male looked at me as though I had three heads.  Both strongly disagreed with me.  Both handed me the piece of paper to PROVE that I had 5 drinks coming....they believed I ordered 2 plain hot teas, 2 coffees (one black and one with milk) and one iced coffee with cream and sugar.  I carefully explained what I'd written on my piece of paper.
A customer behind me walked right out of the store.  I was not sure if the customer was mad at me, mad at them, or both!

Later, I tested my wife, my young adult daughter, and my young adult son.  SEPARATELY, I told each of them what I'd written on the piece of paper (BEFORE I told them what had happened) and I asked what THEY would serve a customer who handed them such a piece of paper.

My wife immediately got it right, but when I told her the story, she told me she COULD see how they got confused.

My daughter immediately said, "You have 3 drinks coming, right?!"  (She got it correct.)

My son immediately asked, "They DIDN'T give you 5 drinks did they?!" laughing!

Whether it's Brazil or America, young people have no idea what a colon followed by an indented column of items means!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gotta love Framingham Public Schools

Anonymous said...

Thank You for the tea.  However it came milk with no sugar.  I wonder if the other tea recieved twice the amount of sugar.  Sometimes I want to ask the clerks what will I be having today when I go to DD.  My worst DD order was a tea that came with a tea bag and coffee!!!!!