Tuesday, October 2, 2007

PAY IT FORWARD

“And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.” (2 Timothy 2:2)

How many of you have ever forwarded am e-mail which warned of some impending internet virus- only to find it was an all urban legend?  I have.  A friend of mine forwarded the same e-mail and faced tremendous “flack” for forwarding it.  She was so discouraged by that experience that she told me, “I’ll never again forward anything to anyone.”  (Thank God, she’s rethought that and now she WIll forward certain particularly good and inspiring e-mails.)

If you’re like me, you probably receive anywhere from 3 to 13 “Forwards” a day.  Realistically, we can’t necessarily forward ALL of them.  And, we probably SHOULDN’T forward ALL of them.

Last week, I received two particularly good Forwarded e-mails.  Each contained a meaningful spiritual story.  I forwarded each on.  One woman contacted me to say that she was going to use each story when she went to minister in a nursing home.  A pastor friend of mine contacted me to say he was going to use one of the stories as a sermon illustration when he preached this past Sunday.

There are some e-mails I recommend you do not forward.  If an e-mail chides you to forward it or you’ll have bad luck- FORGET IT.  It an e-mail promises you blessings, or answered prayer, or money- FORGET IT.  If an e-mail says if you don’t forward it you’re not a good friend- FORGET IT.  But if an e-mail contains inspiring and encouraging thoughts- I SAY FORWARD IT ON!  I also think that it’s a good policy that when you do forward an e-mail on, you also send it to the person who originally sent it to you.  This lets that person know you thought enough of its contents to forward it on, and it just kind of makes the person who sent it to you feel good.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION-  I know of a person who got in trouble with their e-mail server because that person STARTED one of those “meaningful” e-mails that’s designed to be forwarded.  The server suspended that person’s account because the server has a “no tolerance” policy for those who start mass e-mailings.  So, if you ever intend to START a mass e-mailing, make sure it is not a violation of your server.

Well, “thems” my thoughts on the subject of forwarding e-mails!



No comments: